Honored Contributor

I can't watch those spinner thingys....

I don't have anything against them, I just can't watch them spin and spin and spin without making me a bit dizzy.... and I do turn it off when they're showing them.  I can't be the only one that's affected by them... or am I.... ?  LOL!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

Re: I can't watch those spinner thingys....

Our 7 year old neighbor comes to visit me a couple of times a week and she has one telling me that they bought it to help with her anxiety, I watched about 1 minute of the presentation on QVC and it droves me nuts, how do they help with anxiety, just curious?

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CareBears

They're a variation of worry stones and worry beads that are thousands of years old. Stress balls do the same thing. Chinese meditation balls. Smoking,  digging at your cuticles, snapping gum, sucking your thumb, etc..

A repetitive distraction that's self-soothing.

They all work. 

We have worry stones and Chinese meditation balls that have been handed down in my family for over 100 years. 

Honored Contributor

@LinaL wrote:

@CareBears

They're a variation of worry stones and worry beads that are thousands of years old. Stress balls do the same thing. Chinese meditation balls. Smoking,  digging at your cuticles, snapping gum, sucking your thumb, etc..

A repetitive distraction that's self-soothing.

They all work. 

We have worry stones and Chinese meditation balls that have been handed down in my family for over 100 years. 

That's what I understand, but none of the others spin like crazy with lights...  I've had a worry stone, loved the cool feel of my thumb on the stone.  My son has the Chinese meditation balls and I think they help.... but for me personally, the spinning things with the lights are not soothing and will make me feel dizzy if I watch long enough.... 

Respected Contributor

I don't think I could sit & watch them spin on TV, but I think I could spin one my own self.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Q4u

Yeah the spinning and lights are a gimmick. The person using these doesn't look at them while they're doing it. You don't look at the stones, beads or balls while you use them. They just become an extension of you. 

Yeah. I like the feel of the stone too. Spinner rings are great too. Same thing. 

Who's going to pay $5 S&H for a $1 worry stone? Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Betcha at some point they're gonna be blamed for bringing on seizures!!  Wondering how my generation (born in 1950) dealt with stress!!

Esteemed Contributor

@LinaL wrote:

@Q4u

Yeah the spinning and lights are a gimmick. The person using these doesn't look at them while they're doing it. You don't look at the stones, beads or balls while you use them. They just become an extension of you. 

Who's going to pay $5 S&H for a $1 worry stone? Smiley Happy

My 12 year-old granddaughter recently found my worry stone in a drawer next to my couch.  Had to explain it to her!  She doesn't understand anything that doesn't require a battery!

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

Betcha at some point they're gonna be blamed for bringing on seizures!!  Wondering how my generation (born in 1950) dealt with stress!!

I hadn't even thought of that~!  Yes, I could see someone not being able to take their eyes off the thing and .... Zap...

Trusted Contributor

Just another fad that will end up in the junk drawer in a month or so.....