Honored Contributor

Re: I MISS CAROLYN GRACIE

[ Edited ]

@Othereeeen 

It also implies...NO other choice but to accept.  You can not assume it was acceptable to them.

It could have been pittance!!  We don't know!

Thank you for admitting no one knows the dollars and cents.....and therefore these posts are all assumptions and conjecture on our part.

You and other posters write as if you have inside knowledge as to the details of the terms and you do not.

You don't know down to the possible hundreds of dollars let alone the 'dime'.

You state:

" I'm sure it was calculated based on length of employment, a possible contract stating an amount, or, industry standards."

You can not be sure of anything since you were not involved and it was NOT made public.

My company has only given severance once and never since....to anyone, including officers of the company.

And the one time they did, it wouldn't get you 3 tanks of gas at today's cost.

Please stop posting things as facts and just admit it is assumptions.

It is what you think ...it is what you feel happenend.

Valued Contributor
@Shaunac, people have every right to express opinions that are different, perhaps diametrically different, from yours. Saying “stop already” to certain posters is not going to put an end to it.
Respected Contributor

@RespectLife 

Of course I'm "assuming"...because it's CONFIDENTIAL information... but the typical severance in large corporations today for people wih lengthy employment in 2023 is in the range of two weeks pay for evey year of service:

"What is a typical severance package?

-Typical severance packages offer one to two weeks of paid salary per year worked. Continuation of insurance benefits, assistance finding another job, and other perks can be negotiated. You usually have 21 days to accept a severance agreement, and once it's signed–seven days to change your mind."

That would buy more than a few tanks of gas. If they made 100,000 a year ( they were longtime hosts) that's @2000 a week,  or 4000 x 30 years service= 120K.

I think they both probably made MORE than that in salary, according to an internet search of salaries for higher paid QVC hosts., but that's OK for this example.

They live in the most expensive county in PA...you can be sure they were pulling down more than 10.00 an hour.

No it's not life sustaining. Not meant to be. It's an incentive to leave quietly and get something to show for it.

But it's also not a forced decision. THEY had to agree to the terms or they wouldn't have signed it.

Who cares if they are "happy"? What does that even mean? THEY signed voluntarily.

I worked for a huge national utility for 35 years and they offered severance packages about five times during that time, based on a "number" ( years of service plus age...example: minimum 85)...due to coroporate takeovers, and right-sizing the workforce.

They were VERY generous. The above terms, PLUS if you were within one year of age 55, they gave you service to 55 so you could collect your pension ( if you had ten years of service). They also paid health premiums to age 65, a HUGE value. I was always in the wrong age range to accept a package, or I would have in a heartbeat, and I loved my job.

MANY people took those packages and went on to do something else with thier lives.

The Company was going to can people anyway,which of course followed voluntary severance for those unlucky enough to NOT meet "the number".

Why not get paid to leave?

I was always planning to retire at 55, but hung on til 57 hoping things would change in the economy again so they'd offer a severance. When it was clear none was coming, I just retired in 2013. Never looked back.

Remember......whether they are "happy" or not...THEY TOOK THE PACKAGE. So who cares if it was 50 cents or 250K.  They accepted the terms and left.

Qurate is a multinational corporation. NOT a Mom and Pop.

Sheeesh. HOW MANY MORE????

And yes it's what I "think" . Based on reality, not dreamy ideas of them tearfully wringing thier hankies,  being asked to clear out thier lockers and turn in thier parking pass in one day with no warning.

"No other choice" but to accept? Come on now.

Of COURSE they had choices. Take a severance and leave, or don't. "We're downsizing the number of hosts, and you're the ones who will go in the first round"... ( and you can be sure it was based on other factors too....sales would be my guess. And sales are ALL that matter in retail.

Sounds "mean"...but sheeeesh...are you following the news today about corporate layoffs and retail failures?!?!??!?   You seem well read and articulate....so I'm guessing you follow the headlines...

I'm curious. What do YOU "feel" or "think" happened to them?  (or the 250,000+ other people laid off this year so far across many industries?) Surely you KNOW these decisons to lay off are not made on "feelings", right?

Respected Contributor

"Life Sustaining"!

As if Carolyn in her RV and Dan in his gentleman farmer's tractor will need to pull up to the Chester County Food Bank for help.

The "question" was clearly a bait (as most questions are).

Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

Too bad you cannot seem to miss Carolyn without putting other women down.  

@Caaareful Shopper   

Too bad you can not post without putting at least one woman down.  SMH at your comment.

Honored Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

Too bad you cannot seem to miss Carolyn without putting other women down.  

@Caaareful Shopper   

Too bad you can not post without putting at least one woman down.  SMH at your comment.

@KatieB   Nice limp try.  You equate the comments as the same because you have no logical response.  My last comment on this with you.

Respected Contributor

I do not miss Carolyn even the tiniest bit.

And my opinion is very, very, very rigid.

I miss Carolyn also. I can’t believe they got rid of her before a lot of the others. I was just watching her slot and the new host wasn’t anywhere near as good as her. So many of these hosts are always on and so annoying I change the channel. She represented regular people.
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is unkind

Trusted Contributor

@StuffnSuch wrote:
@Shaunac, people have every right to express opinions that are different, perhaps diametrically different, from yours. Saying “stop already” to certain posters is not going to put an end to it.

@StuffnSuch 

Yes, aren't we fortunate to live in a society where free speech is allowed?  Thus, I am able to state my opinion just as you, and others, state theirs.  Isn't America grand?