Honored Contributor

I Guess They Tell Women to Keep Waving Their Hands Around

In recent years QVC must be telling the female hosts to wave their hands around constantly when they are on air.  I also have noticed news reporters doing the same thing.  Especially the women on local channels.  It is very distracting to me.

And many women make emphatic motions with their hands with their fingers spread apart as far as they will go, like they are trying to dry wet nails. 

Do you think I have gone over the edge or around the bend to have noticed this?Woman Embarassed Or maybe you are thinking "Girl you've been there a long time already!"Woman Surprised

I blame it on staying home too much. . . Woman Frustrated  Why not?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Guess They Tell Women to Keep Waving Their Hands Around

@Sooner 

I thought it was just me, yes I have noticed more with some hosts than others.  I was flipping channels last night and stopped for a New York minute. The host was waving around and waved me right out.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner,

Oh my gosh!

I thought and noticed the same thing a few days ago. I just couldn't watch

any more. What in the world is with the hands going all over the place while talking and fingers spreading as far as possible over the product especially.Nerve-racking!

Oh and don't forget to notice the rings, the nails the bracelets!

I think perhaps they are told to do this and think we will be drawn to look at what they are selling like it is totally special or something?!

I just can't watch the frantic hand waving finger spreading times 10!

It is totally annoying.

And I hardly ever watch but every single time I look for a few minutes (or seconds).

It just makes me glad I don't.

Most times I do watch is when someone mentions something here and I'll look at a video or live.

Something is just not working though I guess they think it is.

The fake enthusiasm, the motions, the over the top from most hosts.

Ok.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

People are taught to use hand gestures when doing public speaking.  They emphasize words and help keep the audience interested.

However, some hosts have taken this advice to the extreme and flap around like a wounded bird with a broken wing. It then becomes a distraction.

I recently saw a host do a really good job with gestures.  Sadly, I can't remember who it was.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

I keep thinking they're going to eventually take flight with all the flapping.

Honored Contributor

They also make hand chopping or stabbing motions over and over to emphasize right over the product!🤪

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I live in a no-judgment zone.  Since I've decided Q is not my shopping stop over for at least the past year, I've decided to watch more public broadcasting stations to stir things up in my own brain.

Tonight I watched a show on public broadcasting called, "The Great Muslim-American Road Trip."  The young couple traveled through New Mexico (hey @ Kachina), discovering lots of amazing facts about Muslim-Americans and their contributions to their adopted land.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Trusted Contributor

I even see it in still photographs. I find it very affected & annoying.

Honored Contributor

Thanks to all.  I am not alone!  Whatever it is, I think it is a new, and extremely annoying trend.  And I haven't noticed it in men--the fingers spead apart deal. Is that supposed to make us like them?  I'm not sure what they think they are doing, and I wonder who started it.

Maybe those body language experts know!  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Let us not forget the times the "product" is constantly squeezed, smashed, stretched and mashed be it a "top," (shirt), "pant," (pants), cookie, handbag, anything that can be squeezed over and over. If a frying pan could be squeezed I'm sure it would be done.

Especially one host who my manners prevent me from naming,   seems to do it mindlessly.🤓😬

Do I just happen to come upon these choice moments the only time I watch or do they happen constantly?!-yikes!

Well, if anything, it's a good release because I find myself in those few seconds of watching yelling 

"STOP!" "Stop it right now!"🤪

and then I turn it off as fast as possible and feel better already lol!