Frequent Contributor

Re: I Get It...Q Wants Us to Get the Q Card!

• Yes, I understand from a business point why the Q pushes their card.  However, from a personal standpoint I don't know how the hosts can sleep at night, knowing full well that they are enticing people to buy more than they need; charge more than they can afford to pay back.  Of course It all comes down to individual choices, but many people are addicted to buying/spending for a variety of emotional reasons and the hosts - in my opinion - prey on those people.  And it's all to enhance the company's bottom line and therefore line their own pockets.  That is how big business works; I get that.  My point is the hosts' consciences; I could not walk out th door at the end of the day after (possibly) contributing to some customers' financial ruin.  
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ladyrain wrote:
  • Yes, I understand from a business point why the Q pushes their card.  However, from a personal standpoint I don't know how the hosts can sleep at night, knowing full well that they are enticing people to buy more than they need; charge more than they can afford to pay back.  Of course It all comes down to individual choices, but many people are addicted to buying/spending for a variety of emotional reasons and the hosts - in my opinion - prey on those people.  And it's all to enhance the company's bottom line and therefore line their own pockets.  That is how big business works; I get that.  My point is the hosts' consciences; I could not walk out th door at the end of the day after (possibly) contributing to some customers' financial ruin.  

I don't think it's hosts' responsibility to make sure consumers spend responsibly.  To solve the problems of those addicted to shopping, all stores - on TV, online, and B&M - would have to close.  That's not realistic.  A host's role is not to ensure the consumers needs and can afford the product that is being presented.  And, of course, the purpose is to enhance the bottom line.  That applies to all for-profit business, regardless of industry.

Honored Contributor

The CC I have offers me a much benefit than Easy Pay which is the only benefit here. 

Esteemed Contributor

I remember the days when you had to have a Q Card number to place an order.......

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

I imagine the people getting a q card are just the ones who should NOT.  To get the card to get extra EP is not sound financial management.  I completely disagree with an above poster that it would be a good choice for a young person establishing credit. Many cards have benefits beyond EP.

Honored Contributor

@Ladyrain wrote:

You say you undertand but it is quite obvious that you don't.  Otherwise, your original post makes no sense whatsoever.  The hosts are SALES associates, no different than the sales associates at Macy's or Lord and Taylor who always ask if we want to open a store account.  It's part of their job, just as it is part of the shopping channel host (i.e sales clerk) job.  What they say on air isn't scripted but it's close.  They have talking points that they are required to say.  If customers are easily swayed or dimwitted or shopaholics are lonely and confuse show hosts with friendsl that is not the hosts' fault ot QVC's fault.  There is only responsibility is to make a proft.  I'm sure the hosts sleep very well at night , they make salaries that most of us can only dream about and their.  They do the jobs they get paid to do.

Frequent Contributor

Chrystaltree, you have mischaracterized my post.  I am not addressing the business aspect of pushing merchandise; as salespeople, that is what they are paid to do: present products and entice us to purchase them.  But Q's tactics (and I am only assuming TPTB issue talking points to the on-air people) seem to go beyond a mere sell/buy transaction. Never in all my decades of shopping in a brick and mortar store has a salesperson ever urged me to buy an item in all the colors or buy one for the mailman, teacher, hairdresser, etc., or beg me to follow them on Facebook so I'll think of them as actual warm and fuzzy friends.  That is all I am saying.  Of course the channels want us to buy, but now, with all the other online options out there that weren't available when the TV shopping genre began, they seem to be pulling out all the stops to part us from our money.  That's all well and good for those of us who are fiscally responsible and making sound choices.  But there are many others (listen to some of those not-air callers) who may have issues going on in their lives that leave them vulnerable to these sales tactics, causing them to make detrimental financial decisions.  In the end, yes, they are ultimately responsible, but not everyone is on the same emotional page, unfortunately.  I am probably not explaining this very well and I will drop the subject as we will most likely not ever see eye to eye on this.  

Valued Contributor

I like having a Qcard, and my other cards as well. They all help me keep my good credit rating because I pay my bills every month. My smaller (dept. store, Q) cards get paid in full each month, so.....no interest charges.

Honored Contributor

They do, do they...? Well, that's nice. And I want them to get some fresh merchandise...

Maybe if they did the latter, I'd consider the former.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

I imagine the people getting a q card are just the ones who should NOT.  To get the card to get extra EP is not sound financial management.  I completely disagree with an above poster that it would be a good choice for a young person establishing credit. Many cards have benefits beyond EP.

And those "other cards with benefits" are NOT SO EASY TO GET.............

♥Surface of the Sun♥