Re: Husband's Job Closing - Any COBRA or Insurance Tips

Shoppers Food Warehouse.....It is well known in the DC area 

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Happiness Is Inside JOB    I know COBRA is expensive, I had it when I was married but it really has increased in price.  That is totally ridiculous.  Maybe an insurance broker can give you more options.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I'm glad you now realize he qualifies for your insurance right away. Things may be tight , but as long as you keep working, you should manage just fine. I hope your DH lands a great job. So many times people look back and see things worked out better than they imagined.

Frequent Contributor

@sashagirl I would agree with this from what you've said. If you're thinking you have to wait for your plan to re-up, you should be able to add your husband whenever he loses his ins. as it's considered a "qualifying event".

Frequent Contributor

Hi there,

We are in the process of having to Cobra.  We are paying $1,600 a month for a family of 4.  We have had to pay as much as $2,500 per month.

One way to avoid paying for the gap month is to try to get everything done including RX's before your current coverage ends.   You can avoid paying cobra if you do not incur any costs over the cost of your Cobra payment.  In other words, you can pay out of pocket for a small cosst.  

If you need the insurance you can activate Cobra during the 30 days and pay the premium if necessary.  

You have 45 days before you make the first payment once you sign up.  If you don't  use the insurance don't make the payment.  

Hope this makes sense.

Honored Contributor

@sashagirl wrote:

I advise to check with your benefits office. You should be able to add him onto your policy outside of nornal open enrollment in this situation.  I assume 1/1/20 is the start of you new plan year.

I agree. Most plans allow you to make a change outside of annual open-enrollment, i.e, marriage, divorce, birth of a child, spousal loss of job.  The OP should check with her HR department.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.