Valued Contributor

Re: How to remove odor from jeans just delivered

I will have to try some of the tips here, b/c over the years I've bought DD several black pairs of jeans and I have to toss them, b/c I can NEVER get the smell out of them. It smells awful though. Thanks for sharing!

~ Hope in TN ~
Valued Contributor

@Kachina624  The vinegar and airing outside thing didn't work for me either, but what did was soaking in water and baking soda. I'd fill the washing machine with water to cover the jeans, then add an entire box of baking soda and leave it soaking while I went to work. I'd then do a regular wash---and then repeat the entire process. I'd hang on my Mom's clothes line to dry. 

The above worked, but to be completely odor free it took a couple of cycles. I think I'd rather try the Don Aslett product you recommended next time lol!

(found it for under $20 on Amazon, thanks!)

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

Why go through all that to get the odor out?  There are plenty of brands that don't have an odor.  I've only bought one pair of jeans that had an odor, and they were Diane Gilman jeans from HSN.  I ended up donating them.  I should have returned them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@SunSprite.  The X-O Deodorizer is a concentrate so I used about 1/3 of it and the rest water in a spray bottle.  It's good for getting rid of many annoying odors, especially if you have pets.  I sprayed lightly and let dry twice.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@NickNack.  Well, maybe it's something you got at a really good price or you really like the fit.  Maybe it's cute and you really want to keep it.  Maybe you just like laundry challenges.

There was a knit D&C jacket a years or so ago available in pretty pastels.  I got pink and it was fine but most of the other colors apparently reeked of a musty odor.  It was such a nice jacket, I would have gone to some length to fix it.  I often wonder how the models stand to wear some of the stinky stuff.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@Kachina624  Hey thanks for the additional tip regarding pets!

I have two big boy cats and can use all the odor help I can get Smiley Happy

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Regular Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Annabellethecat66.  If you'd read the posts, you might learn something.  It is NOT impossible to remove the odor.  I've done it numerous times and describe how in post #7.  What's the point in coming here if you don't  want or aren't willing to read what others have written?

I've read your posts on other topics and you make really harsh and unnecessary comments.  Being kind doesn't cost you anything and you might learn something like the rest of us.

Respected Contributor

@too cute wrote:
I just received Isaac jeans...my first... That have a strong odor. While I wanted to return them, they fit very well, were on clearance, highly rated, with no S&H. What should I use to wash them? Thanks.

Hi there, I noticed your post and that happened to me.  It'll just wear off after a few washings.  Mine have no more smell at all.  I was wondering what that was!  LOL!  I love the jeans I have though.

Respected Contributor

Hi, NickNack.  I love your tag line, the latter one.  We have a feral cat.  She was born in our back yard and now she's ours.  I love her so much.  I worry about her.  When she goes for her annual shots it takes a while for her to want to come back in the house, she's so terrified of the crate and the car and the vet.  She gets the red carpet treatment always though.  She goes in September so now she's okay.  She's very lovable.  She does what's expected of her and will not cross lines that she shouldn't.  When she's in front of a chair that I'm sitting in and she wants it for herself, I concede to her.  I really love cats, I guess you can tell.  Yes, I get upset when she cries having to go to the vet annually and I get so frustrated that she's afraid to come in.  I don't know what her life was like before we took over.  She was a young adult when that happened.  She had broken teeth, a huge gash on her tail, one on her paw, a UTI.  All that has been taken care of.  Poor thing, she's only seven pounds and had to go though ten teeth being extracted but they were rotten, they had to come out.  She's fine now.  VERY spoiled!  Sorry I didn't mean to cut in or change the subject.  I was wondering if you're a cat person too.  Yes, I got three pairs of jeans from the Q, I love them and wear them.  I got dark, medium and light all in denim blue colors.  They had this REALLY weird smell!  It disappeared after a few washings.  They're great now.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Washing repeatedly, vinegar, airing outside, etc. Will not remove thst odor.  I've successfully used Don Aslett's XO Deodorizer, available at QVC and Amazon, diluyed and sprayed on in 2 applications.  Nothing else has worked to completely remove that sickening musty odor.  I have not tried Febreze

Thanks for the tip, @Kachina624 . I was able to get the odor of some pants I bought that were so cute I did not want to return them, but it took three wash cyles with a week of airing out between each wash and that's just not reasonable.