Respected Contributor

Re: How to remove odor from jeans just delivered

What an enlightening thread!

I'm with the group who says to send them back. (And it's a great warning as far as future orders could go.)

Honored Contributor

Are your jeans a dark color?  If they are, be careful about using too much white vinegar.   In a large load of laundry, use a max of 1/4 cup.   Using too much will require several washings to get the vinegar smell out and could affect the color.

I use a detergent specifically for odors and it helps.  If the item still smells, I wash them again with the odor specific detergent and add white vinegar.

I like to use a dribble of white vinegar when washing bras too.

Honored Contributor

wash them?

Honored Contributor

My Mom's side of the family has been in the business of manufacturing children's clothing since WW 2. The dyes and sizing chemicals, depending on the fabrics, often smell horrible and if do wash out will eventually return. These chemicals have been greatly improved over the years to be made safer for the factory workers, but the odors still remain because of a heating process to set the dyes. It's more prevalent in less expensive fabrics, especially denims. 

Esteemed Contributor

Most of the time the odor comes from being packed in plastic and coming over in shipping containers. I rarely ever receive anything with such a strong odor that it won’t come out. I once ordered a cover for my new IPAD from Amazon and the smell was so strong it made me ill and returned it. The vendor sent me another and told me the reason but I did wipe it down and let it air out for a day and it tidbit smell anymore
Honored Contributor

I have donated so many of those smelly jeans, it makes me sick. I have tried all the dyi solutions for this and NONE of them ever works. So--I don't order clothing online anymore--I go to the stores and sniff them first before I buy-----

Valued Contributor

I’ve had some pretty bad smelling jeans, dark washes in particular. A simple washing or two with a tide pod took care of it.
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 I find it interesting that you decided to post directly to me.

There is no way in Heaven someone can read over every post that's here.

I think if you asked, other's would say they 'scan' over the posts too.

I think (generally) most people feel that either it isn't worth the trouble (someone said unless you can't live without the garmet....send it back) that was a good post (hummm...see I do read some). But generally, most people have not been able to fully get the smell out.

As far as going toe to toe on who orders more, I don't intend to do that.

I just stated that to emphasis that based on all of the clothes I'd ordered (and tried to get the smell out) nothing has worked.

I have posted on numerous occasions (hummm?? perhaps you missed those posts) that I have learned a lot from reading other people's posts.

Generally, I don't read a post unless I have an interest in the subject.  If you do otherwise, well....I salute you...as I just posted, I don't have the attention span nor the time to do that...even if I did..I'm not interested.

OK, I hope I've cleared up any misconceptions I may have steered others toward about reading posts versus not reading posts.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66. I did not say I read every post.  This is a quote from what I said:

"Yes, I pretty much read all of most of the threads I find of interest I either completely pass on a thread or read it in its entirety."

The post was directed to you because I was speaking to you.  You're the one who said with great certainty that the odor couldn't be remove after I had just explained how it could.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

The pair of jeans I had problems with were a light wash denim, a cute jogger style. The stench (a metallic yet sour odor) would be gone after the wash and then with your body heat would come back with a vengeance. I decided that anything that strong, whether I got rid of the smell or not, could not be good for me to wear next to my skin or inhale, and got rid of them.