Honored Contributor

Re: How is a long sleeve cardigan a summer essential?

@mspatmac 

Your reply reminded me of way back in 1973.

The first year we lived in SF - my MIL came out to visit us that summer .... from NY - wearing summer clothes.  We lived out in the Richmond District and the fog came in around 4pm - she had to go buy a jacket to wear for the remainder of her stay.

------------------------------------------

@mspatmac wrote:

You can tell the tourists in the SF Bay area in the summer, they are the ones in tourist sweat shirts freezing when the fog rolls in.   

Honored Contributor

People sit out on patios and decks in the evening when the temps are in the 60's. QVC might as well offer something like that. When in breeze comes in off the lake, I put up my hood.

Valued Contributor

Living on California coast, I use sweaters year-round. Everyone has different body temperatures, I tend to run cool rather than hot.
Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

A lightweight sweater in AC or on cooler evenings in the summer, yes, but the hood is throwing me off.  Aren't they used to keep our heads and ears warm in cold weather?

@Foxxee    No, the purpose of a hood is to look cool and cute.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Being born and raised in the north summer evenings can be cool and a light weight long sleeved jacket, cardigan or shirt can be comfortable.  Plus, to me grocery stores and some restaurants and freezing and a cardigan is just right.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

I totally agree. People that complain about air conditioning being too cold and so make sweater wearing an essential in JULY need to seriously launch a campaign to get that a/c setting lowered! Air conditioning is so bad for the enviornment and is part of what is destroying our ozone layer and making the planet hotter. How ironic is that! Let's start addressing this problem.

Respected Contributor

ITA about the extreme A/C in stores. Some stores you go in the A/C is cranked up so high and so cold you could hang meat there!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:

There's a light green, long length, long sleeve cardigan on the home page today. It's being described as a "summer essential." Is a sweater like this really worn in the heat of summer? If so, where and under what circumstances? It certainly isn't an item I can wear in a Florida.

Updated to add that it has a hood.

@Mindy D 

I totally agree..............

Its getting to be a bit ridiculous with all these cardigans...Not a good  idea not only where you live in Florida, but here in Texas, in the South and Southwest too....No one here wears layered looks especially when it's near or at 100 degrees...Woman LOL......

Not all locations BLAST their A/C/. Here the A/C isnt that cold, as homes, offices, and retail stores  strive to conserve energy and they also get a break in the rates with the Utility company in the process.  So in some locations "cold air conditioning" is a myth.....(what @Whosits  said thats the philosophy)

I think QVC is limiting their market to sell to..And if people plan to go on vacation, which usually happens in the summer, its usually to a WARM or HOT climate too!!!

It would be nice if QVC mixed it up and widened their appeal.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Frequent Contributor

I live where we have relatively cool summer nights (PNW) but I used to live in the southwest desert...think 100+ in the summer. I can't vouch for this particular item but I wore light cardigans with hoods even in the heat to help protect my skin from the sun.  They were natural fibers, so, again this might have been too warm but I get the concept.

Honored Contributor

My question is a little bit different. Would this sweater be warm enough in winter so maybe I wouldn't need my space heater while we watch tv at night? I'm never warm enough and don't want to use a throw.