Trusted Contributor

How can a TSV be on back order?

I ordered 4 pairs of the recent TSV and now I see they are on back order! How can that possibly be? They weren't on waitlist, I think I ordered them early in the day! I also ordered 3 pairs of another Clark's sandal and they are also on back order! I'm seriously considering canceling both orders, this is ridiculous! 

Honored Contributor

Re: How can a TSV be on back order?

There has probably been an unavoidable shipping delay and your items haven't arrived.  That's how they mark them.  Be patient, they'll just get to you a little late. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I don't understand how QVC can sell an item that is not even in their possession.  

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

I don't understand how QVC can sell an item that is not even in their possession.  

@kaydee50   many items are not in QVC's possession.  Food items and most electronic items do not come to QVC first.  They come directly from the brand/manufacturer. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have been waiting for a month for an item that was on backorder. I was told today that it has just arrived back in the warehouse and has yet to be processed.

Good thing I am not in a hurry for it. I think there will be a lot more of this nonsense going forward. I am saving $ by ordering infrequently. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We can blame it on manufacturing and shipping delays, but....

Complaints are becoming so frequent, there may be something else going on, as well. That's using "backorders" as a way of doing business to save money.  I'm not saying QVC is using backordering, just mentioning it as a possibility.

Selling without stock: what is Backordering?

"Customers and costs are two major concerns for any company. Overstocking products lead to a surge in storage and purchase costs. If the goods remain unsold, it results in losses. On the other hand, insufficient inventory and late deliveries cause dissatisfaction among customers.

Backorders is a smart thing to do because:

•  
  • It eliminates the costs of storage space since it does not require keeping extra items at the warehouse.
  • It reduces carrying costs.
  • It helps retain customers because sales happen even though the stock is unavailable at the moment.
  • It boosts growth and improves your brand value.

Simply allowing backordering doesn’t bring you these benefits. It depends on various factors like the type of product and supply chain efficiency. If not planned well, it can put the retailer’s reputation at stake.

Issues with Backorders 

In times where customers are used to instant gratification, companies cannot afford wrong or delayed order deliveries. 

Backorders translate to having orders that can’t be fulfilled at the moment. The process requires retailers to raise purchase orders, coordinate with vendors, fulfill supplies, and ship items – all this by the date promised to the customer.

Without a proper inventory management tool,  backordering can turn into a problem. Failure to manage backorders causes severe problems like:

•  
  • Loss of customer trust 
  • Loss of business
  • Loss of your brand’s credibility
  • Financial losses due to additional costs of inventory and shipment charges."

See more at the link below.  

Selling without stock: what is Backordering? (tradegecko.com)

Honored Contributor

This seems to be the way QVC is operating most of their orders these days.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Frequent Contributor

@KaydeeD  I agree, I've been saying that too. It's deceiving and only shooting themselves in the foot bcuz customers are VERY unhappy lately. They shouldn't sell something unless its sitting there ready to be picked off the shelves and shipped. 

Esteemed Contributor

Great information @Foxxee  thanks.  

Trusted Contributor

Update: I found the sandals I ordered for the same price but NO shipping on Peltz, so I canceled the QVC order - that's $300 of lost sales for the Q for playing games. I'm a long-time, high volume customer, but selling a brand name Item that isn't in stock (it went to back order a week after the order) is simply bad business practice. I've had HSN play games, like switching to waitlist days after the order was placed, but never before something like this with the Q. If it's not available, don't sell it!