Esteemed Contributor

Re: How are shopping channels going to attact a younger clientele?

My daughter is 35 with a child and a full time job.  SHe is always busy doing something.  The idea of her watching a hour long infomercial on QVC for a Dyson vacuum or a Serra mattress is laughable.  It will never happen.  She finds the entire idea absurd.  She also finds QVC fashions to be old fashioned and over priced.  Try as they might I still think the long range outlook for the viability of home shopping is poor.  What was new and innovative 10-15 years ago is now seriously out of touch with the buyers they would like to attract.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I think QVC's big move to attract a younger clientele was to hire Courtney and Kirsten, both of whom act like adolescents most of the time.  The rest of us just change the channel. 

@Kachina624

Oh, goodness -- I could NOT agree with you more!!!  And once you start changing the channel, you suddenly realize you are doing it more and more -- and you just don't watch QVC so much anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Younger people (teens and college age) are not interested in the shopping channels in general. This group have their own sites they enjoy going to for shopping where they know exactly what goods are there, free ship and arrival in 2-3 days. Instant gratification. 

I don't think they will take the time to check program guides, record shows & find time to watch them later, nor do they have time for waitlist, 7 days to receive an item and they will not pay for shipping and also pay for returns. 

The shopping channels cannot compete now with most other sites for older viewers. Why should I sit through a day of Christmas decor waiting for some fashion or makeup when I can go directly to J Crew or BR or Trish directly, order and have it home in 3 days. Amazom? No competition there. 

How can QVC hope to gain a younger audience when they can't satisfy the older viewers they already have?

That's it in a nutshell, @Shanus. The Q's solution to lower financials is to go after the young, instead of the real problem. Older customers are unhappy with products, staleness, slowness, prices,  why on God's green earth would young people like it! Also, more channels is not the problem.

It's so strange, the CEO refuses to recognizes the problem.

Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Younger people (teens and college age) are not interested in the shopping channels in general. This group have their own sites they enjoy going to for shopping where they know exactly what goods are there, free ship and arrival in 2-3 days. Instant gratification. 

I don't think they will take the time to check program guides, record shows & find time to watch them later, nor do they have time for waitlist, 7 days to receive an item and they will not pay for shipping and also pay for returns. 

The shopping channels cannot compete now with most other sites for older viewers. Why should I sit through a day of Christmas decor waiting for some fashion or makeup when I can go directly to J Crew or BR or Trish directly, order and have it home in 3 days. Amazom? No competition there. 

How can QVC hope to gain a younger audience when they can't satisfy the older viewers they already have?

That's it in a nutshell, @Shanus. The Q's solution to lower financials is to go after the young, instead of the real problem. Older customers are unhappy with products, staleness, slowness, prices,  why on God's green earth would young people like it! Also, more channels is not the problem.

@febe1  Bad advisors!!

Valued Contributor

I think shopping channels should also be concerned with keeping their adult and older shoppers...programming as it is now is so boring it is impossible to watch.

Honored Contributor

I'm not on FB, but wonder if the "big wigs" have a FB page (that they actually glance at) where we can bi-tch and moan. They obviously don't give a hoot about what we write on these forums!!!

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

My daughter is 35 with a child and a full time job.  SHe is always busy doing something.  The idea of her watching a hour long infomercial on QVC for a Dyson vacuum or a Serra mattress is laughable.  It will never happen.  She finds the entire idea absurd.  She also finds QVC fashions to be old fashioned and over priced.  Try as they might I still think the long range outlook for the viability of home shopping is poor.  What was new and innovative 10-15 years ago is now seriously out of touch with the buyers they would like to attract.

I agree that the concept of a live 24/7 shopping channel is in its last gasp. If they cannot attract younger viewers, the channels will die of attrition as Boomers either die or get too old or too poor to keep buying. At a certain point, many QVC customers will not, for various reasons, be buying any more - regardless of what the mdse might be.

Shopping channels as an entity will cease to be relevant. They're already on the slope. Changing mdse isn't going to stop the inevitable.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Most of the younger women I know just don't shop on TV. They like Lularoe, Amazon, and B&M stores like Target and Kohl's. They are surprised when I tell them I've bought clothes from QVC and Evine, and I bought my smartphone from HSN. 

Sometimes is isn't nescessary to cater to a younger population. Sometimes you just need to focus on keeping the population that is watching and shopping and not alienate them. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@febe1  Bad advisors!!

Advisors can be heard, but a good CEO does not follow bad advice.

Valued Contributor

QVC better learn how to ship things faster if they want to really compete in the online world.  At least they are not as slow as Evine, so there's that.   But not as fast as HSN usually is.   Can't even compete with Amazon Prime though.