Super Contributor

Hosts showing social media posts on air

I don't use Facebook, etc. in real life, and the last thing I want to see is someone else's Facebook posts when I'm watching QVC for shopping or for entertainment.

What is the point of using jumbo TV screens to show us what strangers are posting about their purchases? Am I really supposed to be more motivated to buy a purse or a jacket because "Janet in Sacramento" posted a pic of hers on her Facebook page?

At least the viewer call-ins have some spontaneity and unintentional humor/trainwreck interest going for them, but viewer Facebook postings -- meh. Of all the ways QVC could have tried to inject some pizazz into its presentations, having 'social media hosts' and jumbotrons with Facebook on them was not the way to go.

When you think of the massive, global production/broadcasting infrastructure that QVC has at its fingertips, and how engaging and interesting and entertaining it could make its shows with a little effort, the reality seems even more pitiful.

Respected Contributor

Re: Hosts showing social media posts on air

It's controllable, positive, free publicity. What more could corporate marketing ask for?

Respected Contributor

On 12/27/2014 Cinder63 said: Am I really supposed to be more motivated to buy a purse or a jacket because "Janet in Sacramento" posted a pic of hers on her Facebook page?

How is that any different than the watch along type posts here, such as AM Style chat, or the posts asking about and commenting on the TSV? People are looking for opinions here from people they don't know too.

Valued Contributor

On 12/27/2014 candys mine said:

It's controllable, positive, free publicity. What more could corporate marketing ask for?

ITA. QVC ONLY shows the positive posts----NEVER the complaints.

Respected Contributor

On 12/27/2014 Sylanne said:
On 12/27/2014 candys mine said:

ITA. QVC ONLY shows the positive posts----NEVER the complaints.

LOL, when Leah was showing some posts on Facebook this morning about the LOGO
item she was wearing, I could see FB comments at the bottom clear as day and they were not positive about LOGO at all. One was about the droopy, sloppy looking pockets and the other was about the line not being flattering. Couldn't believe I saw that.

Honored Contributor

On 12/27/2014 Cinder63 said:

I don't use Facebook, etc. in real life, and the last thing I want to see is someone else's Facebook posts when I'm watching QVC for shopping or for entertainment.

What is the point of using jumbo TV screens to show us what strangers are posting about their purchases? Am I really supposed to be more motivated to buy a purse or a jacket because "Janet in Sacramento" posted a pic of hers on her Facebook page?

At least the viewer call-ins have some spontaneity and unintentional humor/trainwreck interest going for them, but viewer Facebook postings -- meh. Of all the ways QVC could have tried to inject some pizazz into its presentations, having 'social media hosts' and jumbotrons with Facebook on them was not the way to go.

When you think of the massive, global production/broadcasting infrastructure that QVC has at its fingertips, and how engaging and interesting and entertaining it could make its shows with a little effort, the reality seems even more pitiful.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I don't think I could agree more with virtually everything you've said... I'd simply add that all the smoke and mirrors in the world are NOT going to matter unless they step up their product mix and add significantly more variety...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 12/27/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:
On 12/27/2014 Cinder63 said:Am I really supposed to be more motivated to buy a purse or a jacket because "Janet in Sacramento" posted a pic of hers on her Facebook page?

How is that any different than the watch along type posts here, such as AM Style chat, or the posts asking about and commenting on the TSV? People are looking for opinions here from people they don't know too.

To me, it's different in that it's customer driven. Folks are choosing to chat and share. It isn't taking up air-time and it's based on authentic interest between posters, not host manufactured enthusiasm about Q chosen snapshots of what 'FB friends' are saying...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

The whole thing is just plain moronic. I guess this is another way to pass the time they need to sell, sell, sell. At least we are not hearing the same ole phrases over and over. WOW it just dawned on me, I have not heard it's so fresh, it's so new, it's so on trend, it's so gorgeous, it's so beautiful, it's so Manhattan.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Trusted Contributor

I see this as being similar to sharing online reviews of products. QVC is not going to pass up the chance to share positive feedback as a selling point, and like it or not, many people now utilize social media for a majority of communications.

Honored Contributor

I guess I don't view it differently than one of the hosts answering Facebook questions, then sharing what's going on. Like what happens with Courtney or Alberti on pm style.