Trusted Contributor

Re: Hosts sales pitch

[ Edited ]

@bs52 wrote:

Please QVC inform your hosts that the customers they are speaking to are not as privileged to be able to own every item they are presenting to them like they are. If anyone in management at QVC would observe the hosts as they are presenting their products they will observe the constant blab,blab,blab about what they have. Just my thoughts....... Thanks for listening!!!

This is something I really like about Jill.  She makes it clear that she uses Bobbi Brown, yet can still sell IT Cosmetics without claiming to own everything -- which we know she doesn't anyway! 

I think this is a fairly new approach in the last couple of years.  When I hear some of these hosts, I can't imagine how their home holds all the stuff they say they have.  

ETA: Maybe there should be a reality show that goes into the homes of hosts to see all this stuff piled everywhere!  

New Contributor

I've often wondered that myself.  I'm sure they get these things to try/wear so they can "sell" it on air but to own so many of them I'd like to see their storage areas and their closets!

Honored Contributor

As another poster stated, these hosts are given products to use and often keep so they can talk about ithe item with deeper conviction....they are professional sellers and do not consider anyone's abililty to pay for anything.  Selling something to you is their job....  no more, no less..... Woman Happy   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

What the hosts own have no impact on me.  I don't try to keep up with the Jones'.  I buy what I like and what's in my price range.

Honored Contributor

@GCR18- Great response.  My thoughts exactly.

New Contributor

I understand what you are saying but my point is there are lots of senior citizens and single mom's on very tight budgets watching and there has got to be another way to sell without saying I have this or my kids or husband has this and it is so worth the money knowing not everyone can afford everything like them. Maybe they could say that they have been able to try the item for awhile and do believe it actually is a good buy for the money. At least try to think if you were the customer sitting there watching and wanting something so bad that you are not alone in not being able to purchase. Just my opinion didn't mean to offend anyone.

Honored Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

It’s just “Sales 101” ... The salesperson always owns whatever they’re selling, so it must be good if they have it so maybe I should buy it.

@Mimi 1883  They usually own more than one in various colors...clothing, shoes, etc. 🙄

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

What the hosts own have no impact on me.  I don't try to keep up with the Jones'.  I buy what I like and what's in my price range.

@GCR18  ITA and have gotten more grumpy and picky as I’ve gotten older. I don’t give a fig if it’s the only order of the year, 20 easy pays, last chance at this price, exclusive color to QVC, selling out quickly....all just “snake oil” talk to me.

If I want or need the item, I purchase it. There’s nothing the hosts say or don’t say that influence my decision.

Respected Contributor

If watching a promotion for something I cannot afford is distressing, I would be in perpetual misery. My grownup self can deal with it.

Honored Contributor

@bs52 wrote:

I understand what you are saying but my point is there are lots of senior citizens and single mom's on very tight budgets watching and there has got to be another way to sell without saying I have this or my kids or husband has this and it is so worth the money knowing not everyone can afford everything like them. Maybe they could say that they have been able to try the item for awhile and do believe it actually is a good buy for the money. At least try to think if you were the customer sitting there watching and wanting something so bad that you are not alone in not being able to purchase. Just my opinion didn't mean to offend anyone.

The hosts are not there to hold anyone’s hand if they want, but can’t afford to buy something that is being presented.

Everytime I go into a store I see something that I want, but either can’t afford it or have no place to put it, or the one I have is still good.

Being an adult, I can handle it. It’s part of being a grown up.

I don’t understand your way of thinking, sorry.