Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hosts ordering during presentation

While Sharon showing Logo, she said she was seeing all that yellow showing up below. I looked at them, and they were almost totally green.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

njgirl..... I am sorry you felt bad about some replies made here to your question/comment.  I don't think most were meant personally.   Sometimes, I feel like QVC thinks we are all idiot shoppers who fall for anything!  Not so.  But, they get new customers everyday.  

Having been around the Q for awhile, I feel like I am a "seasoned" shopper now and don't fall into the sales tactics which are obvious.  But, it sure works when you are a new customer.  The hosts make you feel like you really should get it quick before it sells out, etc.  So, you jump on phone.  I have done that and later went quickly to my computer to cancel an order.  Slow learner but I learned....don't be impulsive.  Do you need it or want it, etc?

You are right, and others said it also, it is an unprofessional sales tactic.  But, it must work because they keep using it!  

In fairness to hosts, I like many of them and think they do a good job overall.  Their job is Sales and not always easy to do....talk, talk, talk.....different shifts during the day.  Not easy but I am sure they are paid well.  

And, I am off subject now....sorry...ha....see...talk, talk, talk!

Esteemed Contributor

I think that kind of sales pitch is tacky and really not believeable. So do the hosts or anyone else on air let someone else have access to their QVC accounts then? Or access to their mobile device's QVC app? No, I don't think so either.

And all the sales pitch does is upset the customers who really may have lost out because it sold out.

I saw a host saying she would buy a pair of shoes once she got off air. Well why not just buy the shoes you are wearing on air? That way the shoes you are wearing for hours on air become yours and not some unsuspecting customer who buys an "as is" pair of shoes.

Honored Contributor

I've never thought it was legitimate even years before LR started doing it, so did Jane on occasion.  I mean why order it while on air when you see what you are presenting prior to going on air and can order then, ahead of everyone else?  Unless of course the host is trying to drum up more interest?

I saw when Jill did that on Valerie's show regarding the big Bunnies....  she helped design those, or did design them.... why wouldn't she think of ordering them as soon as they were available??  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Regular Contributor

@Catch71 wrote:

Does anyone else find it unprofessional for a host to be ordering for themself during a presentation - especially one that may sell out?  For some reason it doesn't seem right. I thought they had a chance before the item is presented as a perk of being a host, but maybe I am wrong.  The other night a host who I will not name was presenting something new that was selling out fast.  She asked her producer while on air presenting to order her 2 of the item and a few minutes later it sold out.  What if you were a customer waiting on line or on the phone to place your order but you lost out because the host got the last one!

the hosts should order before the show if they want something and keep quiet about it. I always assume they have dibs on the stuff beforehand anyway. As for customers waiting on the phone its just the reality of an outdated situation. Its unfortunate but these days if you want to guarantee you get something you want from qvc you have to purchase it online promptly. I know it leaves out some of the population but time moves on when people do not. People need to have a computer these days. They need to know how to "work" the internet. I am acquainted with someone who has never owned a computer and they are in their fifties. I don't know how they get along in this world when everything from job applications to bill paying is only done online now.

Regular Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I'm a cynic, I don't think they are really buying the product, they just want to drum up interest in the item. Personally, I don't care what the hosts buy. I don't believe that they wear QVC clothes in their real life.

I don't think the hosts buy a quarter of what they sell. They are pretty good actors but their faces do betray them sometimes.

Regular Contributor

@kjae wrote:

My remembrance of it is the LISA ROBERTSON STARTED THIS.  I think it was a sales tactic.  She was always so "cutesy" about doing it-complete act.  Of course whatever she "ordered" sold out because everyone wanted to be like her.

This I will never understand. I don't know why anyone would want to be like someone else whether its looking like them, having the same items or styling something the exact same way. Its not admirable its an identity issue.

Respected Contributor

On HSN last night Shannon was doing her usual hard sell for Prai. She said we only brought in 1700 of these and there are 1000 on the phone lines right now ordering so get it before it if gone.....Wellllllll The count down ticker came on and low and behold there were 1787 available (with 1000 in the ordering process). Not bad for only bringing in 1700 of the item. The ticker was quickly removed.

I don't believe a word any of these host's say anymore.Woman HappyHeart

Don't worry, be Happy!
Valued Contributor

If it really is a "sales tactic",I consider it a dishonest one,and when I hear C.G. say it,I know its impossible ,because she has already ordered ,at least 6 in all colors.her closet must be the size of my house.I find it offensive and insulting to us,as viewers for this process to happen!

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

It's just a sales tactic - they're trying to start a stampede.

I agree.  (Doesn't persuade me to order anything.)