Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hosts on air time

[ Edited ]

@Illinoisborn wrote:

That's 5 hrs a week, not a day...

@Illinoisborn Of course, thanks.  Now it really does not make sense.  Some of the hosts must not be on very much, if at all.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

I believe the midnight presentation recordings begin at 3:00 am and end at 7:00 am so there are only 4 hours of recordings per day.

Valued Contributor

For me, being a woman of a certain age, when I hear a host say, "I'll be with you for the next three (or even four!) hours"  I always wonder if I could make that without a bathroom break! LOL  And then I start wondering how far away the bethroom is!

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Well I did the math this morning.  There are currently 25 hosts listed on the website.

If I am not mistaken, the midnight to 1:00 am show is repeated until 7:00 am.  So that leave 18 hours of original programming per day.

18 hours X 7 days = 126 hours.  126 divided by 25 hosts is 5.04 hours per day that any host would be on air.  Of course air time is not equally distributed and they are at work far longer than their on air time.

But I did not think a host would be on that long.  Am I missing something here in my calculations?

@Puppy Lips 

Each host also has at least 2 days off.

A lot of the hosts mention coming in for meetings to learn about the products they will be presenting in each show or upcoming shows, and David also mentioned a show Production Meeting ....(So maybe when they are not on air they are still working but its all behind the scenes) And I wonder if keeping up with their QVC Facebook Pages/Instagram etc is considered company time too...

They've also mentioned coming in a couple hours early before each show to put on their show wardrobe, and have their hair and makeup done (with the pandemic they said they are doing this themselves).....

...Some are sent to Trade Shows along with the QVC Buyers to see new products (David went to a show awhile back and helped design some of the Christmas and Halloween items for his shows).....Some mention going to the factories to see where and how products are made.... 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Well I did the math this morning.  There are currently 25 hosts listed on the website.

If I am not mistaken, the midnight to 1:00 am show is repeated until 7:00 am.  So that leave 18 hours of original programming per day.

18 hours X 7 days = 126 hours.  126 divided by 25 hosts is 5.04 hours per day that any host would be on air.  Of course air time is not equally distributed and they are at work far longer than their on air time.

But I did not think a host would be on that long.  Am I missing something here in my calculations?

@Puppy Lips 

A lot of the hosts mention coming in for meetings to learn about the products they will be presenting in each show or upcoming shows, and David also mentioned a show Production Meeting ....(So maybe when they are not on air they are still working but its all behind the scenes) And I wonder if keeping up with their QVC Facebook Pages/Instagram etc is considered company time too...

They've also mentioned coming in a couple hours early before each show to put on their show wardrobe, and have their hair and makeup done (with the pandemic they said they are doing this themselves).....

...Some are sent to Trade Shows along with the QVC Buyers to see new products (David went to a show awhile back and helped design some of the Christmas and Halloween items for his shows).....Some mention going to the factories to see where and how products are made.... 

@Spurt All true, I am sure.  Still, I wonder if they still have too many hosts if they are going to stick with just one channel of live programing, especially since I tend to see the same hosts over and over (the ones I tend not to like.)  I guess we will have to wait and see.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Puppy Lips 

@Spurt All true, I am sure.  Still, I wonder if they still have too many hosts if they are going to stick with just one channel of live programing, especially since I tend to see the same hosts over and over (the ones I tend not to like.)  I guess we will have to wait and see.

@Puppy Lips 

You make a great point, if they dont go back to 24/7 programming it seems like there will still be too many hosts...so it will be interesting to see what QVC plans to do....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

I noticed the shift time amount changed.  It used to be 4 hours for each host cycle.  Now some are 3 hours.  The other day Elise was on for 2 hours only.  I think they are cutting back in that way too.

Honored Contributor

They have my vote for cutting back those marathon block of shows.  With all the hosts, why not have no more than two-hour shows maximum, and show more products?

I have also noticed this summer that the majority of the hosts have double, even triple vacations this year.  Several hosts have gone out for a week to 10 days, come back for a few shows, then go back out for another "well-deserved vacation."

They have recently been able to give more prime time shows to hosts who were primarily on Q2, or who only worked during wee hours.  

Super Contributor

Honey,,,  PLEASE ! ! ! !