Honored Contributor

Re: Hosts mispronouncing on Irish shows

@Judaline wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

Many of the hosts and vendors pronounce Button as Butt in. Not sure if it is a regional thing.

It's the British pronunciation. (but we're not in G.Britain)

@Judaline  - I'm married to a Brit and I spent 20 years there.  None of my family or British friends pronounce it that way.

I always think it's a younger generation here that pronounces it like that.

Honored Contributor

@decaf - Actually, both pronunciations of "peridot" are considered correct, as the etymology of the word is unclear.  (It makes for interesting reading.)

I think we can give the host a pass on that one, even though peri-doe may sound more "correct" to most of us.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

Many of the hosts and vendors pronounce Button as Butt in. Not sure if it is a regional thing.

It's the British pronunciation. (but we're not in G.Britain)

@Judaline  - I'm married to a Brit and I spent 20 years there.  None of my family or British friends pronounce it that way.

I always think it's a younger generation here that pronounces it like that.

@Venezia  I'm just going by the British movies I've seen-mostly old ones and that's how they pronounced it. Maybe they used to but they don't now? If you lived there, I will take your word for it!

Honored Contributor

Having lived in many areas of the US there are different pronunciations. It's just regional. At one time it was important to talk like the Man on the 6 O'Clock News. Now not so much.

A few I've noticed: roof,bagel, soda.

Until told about it most people don't notice.

Honored Contributor

@Trix wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@luvmybeetle wrote:

I have been watching the Irish shows pretty much of the day and I am so tired of hearing them mispronounce the names of products and company names.  The host on now is pronouncing Belleek and Merino and a couple other names so wrong.  My problem is, why aren't they prepping for these shows so they know how everything is pronounced? And Monifa pronounced Celtic as the basketball team is pronounced and Stephen Walsh corrected her about pronouncing it the correct way as Keltic.  I know these are new hosts but please train them as they used to be years before this.

@luvmybeetle @banned again 

I agree with you, it may be considered a little thing, but this is their OCCUPATION and they should do the prep work in order to be professional in their chosen field!  Its very easy to remedy this---google will help you pronounce wordsI that doesnt take much time and effort.....To me this shows lack of preparation and sends a message the host doesnt really care about the job....JMHO  Also even in sports with a player with a difficult name they have it spelled out phonetically for the broadcasters.

@nevergivesup 

Thats why I so pleased to hear Vanessa talk about a show where she said she was doing her homework on the products and discovered some information she wanted to share with everyone---- WTG Vanessa! 

@Spurt  A late Hall of Fame MLB broadcaster once told me that he did not trust the PR sheet with the names phonetically spelled out.  If a player has an unusual name or one that could be pronounced multiple ways he routinely ASKED the man personally how to pronounce the name. Being well prepared was one of the things that contributed to the man's 50+ year career in the broadcast booth. 

Throughout my professional career and in volunteer work, I have always prepared for a day's work by not only outlining my own duties but by identifying who's who on the scene today, who is supposed to be doing what, among other things under the banner of being prepared to do the best job possible.  When guests and visitors are involved in my work, I always ask those whom I am unsure how to pronounce the name the correct pronunciation.  It's a courtesy and shows professionalism. For objects like a Celtic cross and places, I have always consulted dictionaries or asked folks I thought may know better than I how to pronounce it properly. 

@Trix 

Great points!  I guess some people just dont have the work ethic nor care about doing a good job (Sadly Ive seen it in the company I work for.....)

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Venezia wrote:

@nevergivesup @BirkiLady - I also remember the train wreck of KZ with LDO (and later Bob Mackie).

She also couldn't even pronounce "Linea" and he told her that at least twice before he finally said "It isn't that difficult!"  He had been a model of patience until then.

I can't remember if it was in the same show that she called him Del'Oreo and both my DH and I were stunned.

IMO, it was insulting to both designers that she couldn't be bothered to do even a modicum of preparation.  She was no loss, when she was let go.

@Venezia 

Some people just arent fit for certain jobs and QVC host wasnt a match for KZ ....Mary Beth "introduced" the new hosts on a Blog and when it came to "experience" you could tell there was an issue since KZ seemed to flit from job to job....I wish her the best in finding her right niche! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt  This may be a personal exaggeration from an old lady, but it seems that so many young people coming along lack personal pride and responsibility because in so many instances they don't have any consequences to bear.  They fail in school it's the system's fault, not the student and aloof and/or helicopter overprotective parents. They mess up at work you fix it because you'll be reported for some kind of woke discriminatory workplace harassment if you try to hold the worker accountable.  I could go on, but then this post will be moved.   

Respected Contributor

Amy, and others, can't even distinguish the difference between "I" and "me" . 

This matters, as does pronunciation!!! 

Honored Contributor

@Trix wrote:

@Spurt  This may be a personal exaggeration from an old lady, but it seems that so many young people coming along lack personal pride and responsibility because in so many instances they don't have any consequences to bear.  They fail in school it's the system's fault, not the student and aloof and/or helicopter overprotective parents. They mess up at work you fix it because you'll be reported for some kind of woke discriminatory workplace harassment if you try to hold the worker accountable.  I could go on, but then this post will be moved.   

@Trix 

Responsibility and accountability have died......

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Trix wrote:

@Trix 

Responsibility and accountability have died......

@Spurt @Trix  And just to be clear, none of these horrible young people are our children or grandchildren.