Contributor

Re: Hosts mispronouncing on Irish shows

Iam fearful that QVC is grooming these younger "hosts" to replace the more experienced ones.  many of these new or returning girls do not have the know how, experience, personality or likability our senior hosts have. I really feel bad when they have Jane and Courtney "wanna be Kim Kardashian" together.  the age differences is just too conflicting and not enjoyable to watch.  
Must say I am thoroughly enjoying Alberti, he is a breath of fresh air but wonder after the holiday sales of food, Sherpa, blankets and PJ what his strength will be.  I do enjoy him selling food more than watching Mary lately

Frequent Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@nevergivesup  Your memory is spot-on! I had forgotten her name (KZ) and that she also mangled Bob Machie's show. She was the worst host ever. Always thought she wiggled her way into MB and SK's church in order to keep her job. Apparently it worked for several years while others who were far better than she were terminated. I never understood why she wasn't let go immediately following the LDO debacle. Somebody had her back.

Those politics are fierce. Mary Nelsen returned to Omaha because of them - and Nebraskan's are delighted to have her back. She's a lovely, ambitious and kind woman without an agenda of her own.   

ETA: I've recently noticed how poised and professional Vanessa is. Great call!

Who is MB and what is MB and SK's church?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@luvmybeetle wrote:

I have been watching the Irish shows pretty much of the day and I am so tired of hearing them mispronounce the names of products and company names.  The host on now is pronouncing Belleek and Merino and a couple other names so wrong.  My problem is, why aren't they prepping for these shows so they know how everything is pronounced? And Monifa pronounced Celtic as the basketball team is pronounced and Stephen Walsh corrected her about pronouncing it the correct way as Keltic.  I know these are new hosts but please train them as they used to be years before this.

@luvmybeetle @banned again 

I agree with you, it may be considered a little thing, but this is their OCCUPATION and they should do the prep work in order to be professional in their chosen field!  Its very easy to remedy this---google will help you pronounce wordsI that doesnt take much time and effort.....To me this shows lack of preparation and sends a message the host doesnt really care about the job....JMHO  Also even in sports with a player with a difficult name they have it spelled out phonetically for the broadcasters.

@nevergivesup 

Thats why I so pleased to hear Vanessa talk about a show where she said she was doing her homework on the products and discovered some information she wanted to share with everyone---- WTG Vanessa! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Yes, Rosina had to ask the vendor how to pronounce "chalcedony".  I can't express the opinion I have of that action and the lack of preparedness.  I wonder if these geniuses know dictionaries show how to pronounce words?  Unbelievable and, i should think, embarrassing for QVC.

@Kachina624 

all they need to do is GOOGLE IT it gives the pronounciation and meaning of the word....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@FishandSnail wrote:

@BirkiLady wrote:

@nevergivesup  Your memory is spot-on! I had forgotten her name (KZ) and that she also mangled Bob Machie's show. She was the worst host ever. Always thought she wiggled her way into MB and SK's church in order to keep her job. Apparently it worked for several years while others who were far better than she were terminated. I never understood why she wasn't let go immediately following the LDO debacle. Somebody had her back.

Those politics are fierce. Mary Nelsen returned to Omaha because of them - and Nebraskan's are delighted to have her back. She's a lovely, ambitious and kind woman without an agenda of her own.   

Who is MB and what is MB and SK's church?

KZ - Kristine Zell

MB - Mary Beth Roe

SK - Shawn Killinger

LDO - Louis Dell'Olio

Frequent Contributor

I saw Kristine Zell doing some fashion thing on instagram/facebook live and she was much improved from her QVC days.

Although I do think she was improving towards the end of her tenure.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady wrote:

@BirkiLady 

I had read a Mike George interview in one of the Business Journals QVC is hoping to capture---the "young busy mom demographic" and she fit that demo which helped her, but KZ seemed to clash with quite a few of the vendors......I couldnt understand how they let Katie McGee go and kept her....SMH

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt   Seems most of us agree. Katie McGee was an outstanding host and her abrupt termination from QVC was disappointing for viewers. We'll never know what they were thinking. It certainly was not her ability to do the job!

More inner company politics? Probably. Same reason we have some of the antics on the Q for years and years. UGH!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@luvmybeetle wrote:

I have been watching the Irish shows pretty much of the day and I am so tired of hearing them mispronounce the names of products and company names.  The host on now is pronouncing Belleek and Merino and a couple other names so wrong.  My problem is, why aren't they prepping for these shows so they know how everything is pronounced? And Monifa pronounced Celtic as the basketball team is pronounced and Stephen Walsh corrected her about pronouncing it the correct way as Keltic.  I know these are new hosts but please train them as they used to be years before this.

@luvmybeetle @banned again 

I agree with you, it may be considered a little thing, but this is their OCCUPATION and they should do the prep work in order to be professional in their chosen field!  Its very easy to remedy this---google will help you pronounce wordsI that doesnt take much time and effort.....To me this shows lack of preparation and sends a message the host doesnt really care about the job....JMHO  Also even in sports with a player with a difficult name they have it spelled out phonetically for the broadcasters.

@nevergivesup 

Thats why I so pleased to hear Vanessa talk about a show where she said she was doing her homework on the products and discovered some information she wanted to share with everyone---- WTG Vanessa! 

@Spurt  A late Hall of Fame MLB broadcaster once told me that he did not trust the PR sheet with the names phonetically spelled out.  If a player has an unusual name or one that could be pronounced multiple ways he routinely ASKED the man personally how to pronounce the name. Being well prepared was one of the things that contributed to the man's 50+ year career in the broadcast booth. 

Throughout my professional career and in volunteer work, I have always prepared for a day's work by not only outlining my own duties but by identifying who's who on the scene today, who is supposed to be doing what, among other things under the banner of being prepared to do the best job possible.  When guests and visitors are involved in my work, I always ask those whom I am unsure how to pronounce the name the correct pronunciation.  It's a courtesy and shows professionalism. For objects like a Celtic cross and places, I have always consulted dictionaries or asked folks I thought may know better than I how to pronounce it properly. 

Honored Contributor

@nevergivesup @BirkiLady - I also remember the train wreck of KZ with LDO (and later Bob Mackie).

She also couldn't even pronounce "Linea" and he told her that at least twice before he finally said "It isn't that difficult!"  He had been a model of patience until then.

I can't remember if it was in the same show that she called him Del'Oreo and both my DH and I were stunned.

IMO, it was insulting to both designers that she couldn't be bothered to do even a modicum of preparation.  She was no loss, when she was let go.