Respected Contributor

Re: Hosts mispronouncing on Irish shows

@SilleeMee wrote:

I though hosts had their directors talking in their ear to let them know what and how to say something. What happened to that? 

Maybe the directors don't know either.

Respected Contributor

"LAH" Crooo-say.

After twenty years of selling the product.

Honored Contributor

Sadly this isn't only on QVC.  I find many of the younger local newscasters and reporters here to be barely tolerable.  Between their poor pronunciation, enunciation, and reading skills I often find it hard to understand what they're saying.

Esteemed Contributor

This isn't a new problem with newer hosts. Don't you remember the same problem with several hosts who were finally terminated? Most of them lacked the ambition to prepare for anything prior to their programs.

There was a show for Louis del Olio and the host couldn't even pronounce the name of the show! Several times. When LDO arrived on set, he gently explained how his name was pronounced and she mangled it again. Could not pronounce the colors. The hour was unbelieveable. Afterward she apparently blasted LDO on Facebook as "rude" and "mean". (Not true. Louis was kind, considerate and helpful; although annoyed by the end of the show.)

She remained unprepared for her shows throughout her tenure on QVC just drawing her salary and basically thumbing her nose at the job. IIRC, there were some others - although not nearly as blatently lacking ambition, use of English language, or basic knowledge of hosting job descriptions. Yet she was constantly talking about her husband, mom, kids, and in-laws! Never understood what they had to do with the products being sold.     

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

You'd think they'd have some sort of team meeting for everyone involved in these presentations. Zoom seems made for sharing pronunciations and other specifics. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

This reminds me of watching our local Tucson TV News the other day & the girl that was reporting pronounced Johannesberg, the city in South Africa, as "Joe-Hands-Berg".    It seems like if you aren't 100% sure how something or someplace is pronounced, ask someone.

Valued Contributor

I’m the first person willing to cut some slack for a new host due to nerves but that should make preparation even more important to them. I think it reflects the overall decline, not only in education,but in the work ethic needed to succeed at a new job.

@BirkiLady I well remember that show with Louis Del’Olio and KZ. It was a train wreck and the worst part was that she repeatedly bungled his name instead of just covering and calling him Louis. I saw a similar type fiasco with Bob Mackie. It was clear the host had no clue that he was an icon in the fashion world.

I will say that Vanessa Herring is a shining star among the new hosts. Well spoken, well dressed and prepared. I think she has already surpassed some of the hosts who have been employed much longer.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nevergivesup  Your memory is spot-on! I had forgotten her name (KZ) and that she also mangled Bob Machie's show. She was the worst host ever. Always thought she wiggled her way into MB and SK's church in order to keep her job. Apparently it worked for several years while others who were far better than she were terminated. I never understood why she wasn't let go immediately following the LDO debacle. Somebody had her back.

Those politics are fierce. Mary Nelsen returned to Omaha because of them - and Nebraskan's are delighted to have her back. She's a lovely, ambitious and kind woman without an agenda of her own.   

ETA: I've recently noticed how poised and professional Vanessa is. Great call!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I though hosts had their directors talking in their ear to let them know what and how to say something. What happened to that? 

Nope, they're too busy giving color updates and how many are "flying out of the door" in the hosts' ears

Frequent Contributor

Unbelievable, they should just let the ones who know how to present the Irish products do so. I didn't see the hosts that did this, but I would have been .mortified