Respected Contributor

Hosts mispronouncing on Irish shows

I have been watching the Irish shows pretty much of the day and I am so tired of hearing them mispronounce the names of products and company names.  The host on now is pronouncing Belleek and Merino and a couple other names so wrong.  My problem is, why aren't they prepping for these shows so they know how everything is pronounced? And Monifa pronounced Celtic as the basketball team is pronounced and Stephen Walsh corrected her about pronouncing it the correct way as Keltic.  I know these are new hosts but please train them as they used to be years before this.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hosts mispronouncing on Irish shows

[ Edited ]

Perhaps the problem has less to do with training than it does with shifts in education between the new hosts and those from years ago.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Yes, Rosina had to ask the vendor how to pronounce "chalcedony".  I can't express the opinion I have of that action and the lack of preparedness.  I wonder if these geniuses know dictionaries show how to pronounce words?  Unbelievable and, i should think, embarrassing for QVC.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

Another sad lowering of standards, and the value placed on education.

Honored Contributor

I though hosts had their directors talking in their ear to let them know what and how to say something. What happened to that? 

Trusted Contributor

@luvmybeetle I saw/heard that too and cringed when she said "Celtic" like Boston Celtics. And the mispronunciation of Belleek. Sad but I guess the training is lacking. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I though hosts had their directors talking in their ear to let them know what and how to say something. What happened to that? 

@SilleeMee    Behind-the-scene voices are probably as dumb as some of the hosts.  Can you even imagine going unto an Irish show unable to pronounce "Celtic"

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Yes, Rosina had to ask the vendor how to pronounce "chalcedony".  

Let's give her a pass on that one. It is pronounced differently in Europe than in the U.S., as are marcasite, aluminium, byzantine, etc... I know a geologist who didn't know how to pronounce it and I politely corrected him.

But the other mispronunciations...can't they watch some recordings of previous QVC Irish events? They really have little excuse to not be familiar with these products when YouTube is full of presentations of them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624    I agree.  There are several hosts who can't pronounce the simplest of things.  It's cringeworthy

Honored Contributor

@banned again    They don't need to worry about the European pronunciations but they sure should know the American version before they hit the airwaves and make fools of themselves before a million or so people.

This was the second host who couldn't pronounce  chalcedony.  The first, some time ago, didn't last long.  She actually sat there and spelled it several times.