Super Contributor

Hosts focusing on pricing

[ Edited ]

So I thought about posting this for a while, and it's happening so much this morning that I wanted to say something. I'm not looking to create a host bashing thread, however, there is one lovely, well spoken host who continually focuses on the price every single item that she presents. I can see that on the screen and I don't need repeatedly told what a great deal a $70 top or a $50 T-shirt, etc. etc is.  I can decide for myself whether that's the case. 

What I DO need from the hosts are clear descriptions of the named colors, especially if there are stripes on a solid item, Marling, etc. (Carolyn is great at this), info on sizing and whether an item is cut small/large etc, opening the inside of a handbag and clearly showing ALL features rather than chatting about how many have been sold or again raving about the "great" price.

For me, pricing focus is a huge turn off and has the exact opposite effect from making me want to buy. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Hosts focusing on pricing

I agree, you can see the price as it is shown throughout the presentation.   Tiresome, repetitive selling points are such a turn off.  Old complaint, no changes.

Respected Contributor

ITA with OP on this and was watching a Q show yesterday and all the host did was go on and on about the price and kept repeating the easy pays ad nauseum. As OP stated, we can see it on screen easily and don't need it repeated over and over and over. Frustrating as was interested in items and waiting to hear important info about them but it seemed all that was emphasized was price. 

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with the attention paid to pricing. Along with that, when they say their price is so good, you would have to put a one in front of their price to buy at B&M. 

Also, there was a time when the host's job was to tell the pricing and the designer never talked about price. That day is gone. Take Isaac for example. He talks more about the price than anything else. Gasping and hyperventilating over how good the prices. 

At a time when pricing everywhere is high, going on about how low the Q's pricing is is ridiculous. 

Give the price and get on with the product. Take it or leave it, with the price!

Valued Contributor

And we also know our colors !

Honored Contributor

@Cathyshopper   Bravo to your post! 100%

I know the host of which you speak, but like you it's not a bashing post.  More than one host does this.

They feign shock that QVC can even sell the item for the price.  It's like getting two for the price of one!  Not mentioning that the original pricing is absurdly over-priced to begin with.  You have to buy two or three at this price!

Jayne Brown, Carolyn, Pat Dementri -- why is it they are also in sales, but know how to give full product information?  They don't just rely on the tired price, price, price game.

In fact, when the focus is 95% on the price, I zone out and assume (I'm usually right) there's an aspect or two of the item that's less than attractive.  So I don't purchase.

Hmmm, like buy a sweater when it's a mere short weeks away from Spring.  Paying $70 for a thin nylon knit that hugs everyone's behind (and the models don't turn around). 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cathyshopper wrote:

So I thought about posting this for a while, and it's happening so much this morning that I wanted to say something. I'm not looking to create a host bashing thread, however, there is one lovely, well spoken host who continually focuses on the price every single item that she presents. I can see that on the screen and I don't need repeatedly told what a great deal a $70 top or a $50 T-shirt, etc. etc is.  I can decide for myself whether that's the case. 

What I DO need from the hosts are clear descriptions of the named colors, especially if there are stripes on a solid item, Marling, etc. (Carolyn is great at this), info on sizing and whether an item is cut small/large etc, opening the inside of a handbag and clearly showing ALL features rather than chatting about how many have been sold or again raving about the "great" price.

For me, pricing focus is a huge turn off and has the exact opposite effect from making me want to buy. 

@Cathyshopper 

I agree they give less and less info about sizing and fit, and measurements, fabrication, care etc etc.....More about the sale, or themselves.....The online CLICK HERE measurements on that individual garment's sizing are either missing or inaccurate, and customer questions on sizing go unanswered on the website....sorry I'm not taking a chance buying QVC clothing when I lose my original shipping cost on returns...also cheaper prices elsewhere 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Because we are getting such a DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

I agree with the attention paid to pricing. Along with that, when they say their price is so good, you would have to put a one in front of their price to buy at B&M. 

Also, there was a time when the host's job was to tell the pricing and the designer never talked about price. That day is gone. Take Isaac for example. He talks more about the price than anything else. Gasping and hyperventilating over how good the prices. 

At a time when pricing everywhere is high, going on about how low the Q's pricing is is ridiculous. 

Give the price and get on with the product. Take it or leave it, with the price!

That line is ridiculous. You would have to put a one in front of the price if you shop in the retail world. That is one of the lines they need to retire. It simply isn’t true. On the Logo Show today Amy said the mesh cardigan they were selling might have a three in front of it in the retail world.

Of course in theory it could be true, but in practice you would have to compare apples to apples. Their apple would not hold up against the pricey competitors.

They did it with a winter jacket they sold that had a similar patch on the arm. The comparison brand Canada Goose. The host said you would pay over $1000 in retail for a jacket like this. Yes, over $1500 to be exact, but the two jackets, other than the similar patch on the arm do not compare. If you own or have ever seen a Canada Goose Jacket not even close.

Regular Contributor

Seems like QVC pricing should be the very last thing the hosts focus on.