Super Contributor

Re: Host's upspeak, uptalk, rising inflection, upward inflection, or high rising intonation (HRI)

Oh it is just fine to mention our pups - I'm the OP and I put the pictures up to begin with, so you're just going with the flow. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Re: Host's upspeak, uptalk, rising inflection, upward inflection, or high rising intonation (HRI)

And then there is the double whammy - vocal fry AND uptalk. 

Maybe its my age showing, but I find it a lazy way to speak.

Super Contributor

@haddon9 

Great idea!

Honored Contributor

Use your mute button or perhaps have your hearing checked.  

Respected Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Funny you would bring this up now.  I just came home from the mall.  There was a customer talking to a sales associate, who had a horrible vocal fry.   This must be some sort of fad or something . . . 

It's been going on for decades, with no end in sight...

Contributor

The over-use of the word "literally" has got to stop.  When a guest said "These blouses literally flew out of the door" I had to change the channel.  Another guest literally says "literally" every other sentence.  There are one or two hosts who also say it constantly.

Regular Contributor

@AussieLuvr wrote:

@Mimi NY 

I find it funny that they keep pumping us with the number of units sold. Maybe that is supposed to make us want it because everyone else does, too. It has the opposite effect on me - if I hear that tens of thousands of units have been ordered, I don't buy. I don't want to bump into myself when out and about, lol.

I agree. Years ago I believed that, not anymore. One of the hosts on Saturday Morning Q said this morning that "millions" were watching the show. I doubt it. 

Respected Contributor

I heard a host last night say " sidebar" on each item. The way she said it it sounded like cyborg. Once you hear it, you start to notice.

Trusted Contributor

@buffieg  And they have no idea what the word 'literally' means.  They use it as a filler.  

Respected Contributor

do folks know what vocal fry is? I find it incredibly annoying. I had a good friend whose daughter I met for the first time recently and I could barely stand to listen to her because her voice was so false and so scratchy. I almost wanted to tell her to cut it out.

I Just can’t believe these folks think it is somehow attractive sounding.