Super Contributor

Re: Host's upspeak, uptalk, rising inflection, upward inflection, or high rising intonation (HRI)

mrd.jpg

She has one blue eye and one brown eye. Smiley Happy

aaa.jpgardi.jpg

Respected Contributor

Re: Host's upspeak, uptalk, rising inflection, upward inflection, or high rising intonation (HRI)

Funny you would bring this up now.  I just came home from the mall.  There was a customer talking to a sales associate, who had a horrible vocal fry.   This must be some sort of fad or something . . . 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Well there are some hosts that I like a LOT more than others.  I don't let their annoying speech and manners bother me though. 

If I don't want to watch a particular host but I'm interested in a certain product and it's not brand new, I'll go to YouTube and copy & paste the item's title into search.  Often you'll see multiple video presentations of the item with different hosts hosting.

Trusted Contributor

We have had many Aussie's, love the breed...she is a beauty.  Ours now is a sweetheart always happy to see me.  She lives with my Son.  Always making

biscuits for him.  Thanks for posting the pictures too.

Sorry for interuppting your post..

Esteemed Contributor

@AussieLuvr 

So beautiful!

If I lived near you, I would want to pet sit.

Such a gorgeous creature....and I think she knows it Cat LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@phluphy 

Talking about our precious friends is never viewed as an interruption to me!

I have never seen a doggie "make biscuits."  Thought that was something only kitties do.

How sweet!

Trusted Contributor

He is happy when I bring him the peanut butter doggie biscuits I make just for him!!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't notice this with any hosts. However, there was a vendor on this morning (Leah's show) representing a sweater, and he had that rapid speech with a drawn out slower last syllable, that was given the up-sound of a question.

He used it in every sentence. 

Valued Contributor

@mnmom wrote:

I don't notice it too much with QVC hosts (although many are on mute for me!), but Erin Newberg on ShopHQ has a huge "uptalk" pattern.  And yes, it does bother me.  Back to muting the TV! 

You hit it right on the nail with mentioning ERIN NEWBERG on Shop HQ, think her sale tactic is making me do more channel surfing or even put her on closed captions to read  instead of hearing her LOL.

Seems when the vendor is speaking all of a sudden you hear her  voice interrupting saying how many are left , sometimes they show  the number  left on screen,we can read or is it for people who can't see.

Just read they let some hosts go ,was surprised with their decision of who.

Super Contributor

@Mimi NY 

I find it funny that they keep pumping us with the number of units sold. Maybe that is supposed to make us want it because everyone else does, too. It has the opposite effect on me - if I hear that tens of thousands of units have been ordered, I don't buy. I don't want to bump into myself when out and about, lol.