Trusted Contributor

Re: Host's upspeak, uptalk, rising inflection, upward inflection, or high rising intonation (HRI)

I don't watch Shopping Shows, so I have no comment about the hosts. 

But, I detest upspeak, uptalk, rising inflection, upward inflection, or high rising intonation at the end of sentences that aren't questions. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Host's upspeak, uptalk, rising inflection, upward inflection, or high rising intonation (HRI)

Hum.  I have no clue what a voice try is.  None of these voice issues must bother me.

Honored Contributor

@AussieLuvr wrote:

mrd.jpg

She has one blue eye and one brown eye. Smiley Happy

aaa.jpgardi.jpg

@AussieLuvr 

She's ADORABLE!!! Heart

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

I've never heard of vocal fry before.  Is it something deliberate like uptalking or is it something that you can't control? 

@San Antonio Gal   Me either.  Maybe I know what it sounds like, but don't know the term for it.  Can anyone describe, please?

Honored Contributor

@AussieLuvr wrote:

@Witchy Woman 

Oh she knows it alright, lol. She is very feminine in her ways and soooo prissy! She HATES getting her feet wet. She is the only dog I've ever had who LOVES to be groomed, lol.

Gorgeous pup, @AussieLuvr . The four dogs that we've had over the years all loved to be groomed. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

I've never heard of vocal fry before.  Is it something deliberate like uptalking or is it something that you can't control? 

@San Antonio Gal   Me either.  Maybe I know what it sounds like, but don't know the term for it.  Can anyone describe, please?

@Patriot3, I think that I described it earlier here. It's an affected voice popular particularly with young people in which they speak low and a bit gravelly and also stretch their words out.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

Yes, a few of the new hosts are up talkers and I feel they are doing this on purpose. I think they want to distinguish themselves from the rest of the pack, but it is annoying IMO. Mary Nelson was the worst for uptalking and that shaky voice was a deal breaker. If you watch the shows with the real pros like Kerstin, Jane Treacy,Carolyn Gracie and even Elise Ivy you can see and hear how amateurish these new people are.

@blackhole99 

I do think Carolyn has the best voice.....maybe its due to her previuous career in radio 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Frequent Contributor

Upspeak bothers me for another reason. I don't see males doing it, only females, and it makes them appear to lack confidence. It's as if they are proposing a question, rather than making strong, confident statements. I love seeing today's women being empowered and strong, so the upspeak puzzles and saddens me when I hear it in young women. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, the upswing "valley girl" talking drives me crazy as well as the auctioneer (fast talking) hosts....and your right, if you are interested in a product you try to endure it....but reach the point where they make you just move on.........

Respected Contributor

Vocal fry is a very scratchy sounding voice, once you hear an example of it it is so grating.

20 years ago I can never remember hearing anyone talk that way and now I hear it often. It’s almost like you want to tell the person to clear their throat. But that is the official name of it, vocal fry

Google it and you’ll probably hear an example. And it always seems to be young woman, I don’t think I’ve ever heard a man talk this way.