Honored Contributor

Re: Host's upspeak, uptalk, rising inflection, upward inflection, or high rising intonation (HRI)

Yes, a few of the new hosts are up talkers and I feel they are doing this on purpose. I think they want to distinguish themselves from the rest of the pack, but it is annoying IMO. Mary Nelson was the worst for uptalking and that shaky voice was a deal breaker. If you watch the shows with the real pros like Kerstin, Jane Treacy,Carolyn Gracie and even Elise Ivy you can see and hear how amateurish these new people are.

Respected Contributor

Re: Host's upspeak, uptalk, rising inflection, upward inflection, or high rising intonation (HRI)

@buffieg wrote:

The over-use of the word "literally" has got to stop.  When a guest said "These blouses literally flew out of the door" I had to change the channel.  Another guest literally says "literally" every other sentence.  There are one or two hosts who also say it constantly.

I'm with you on that one. The overuse of "literally" drives me crazy!  That and "amazing".

Respected Contributor

@walkingal wrote:

@buffieg  And they have no idea what the word 'literally' means.  They use it as a filler.  

Found your post funny as it made me think of Judge Judy.  She often has people on the show who can't speak properly and use the filler word "basically" a lot when beginning a sentence. Drives her crazy!  That and when they use the word "like" constantly.

Respected Contributor

The host who I couldn’t listen to, is no longer with QVC but she was with them for a long long long time.

She did that uptalk. I just didn’t know what it was, but it drove me crazy. 

Valued Contributor

The #1 annoying girl is on now. Was going to watch Dooney, but just cannot tolerate her. The voice, lack of enunciation, it's too much. Yes, I changed the channel. If this is a career, speech classes would be a great investment.
Valued Contributor

Off topic..... I LOVE THE Aussie pics❤️❤️❤️
Honored Contributor

@AussieLuvr  I've wanted to post about this.  You described the issue perfectly.  Some of the hosts are very annoying in the way they speak.  I am watching so much less than I did years ago and yet I have more time to watch, but just don't like a lot of the presentaton "styles."    Now I only buy items that are exclusive to QVC or at a much better price than another retailer.    I miss the professionalism QVC had when I  began watching years ago.  I don't understand how some of these newer hosts got to permanent status.  (Love your dog!)

Super Contributor

@Bhvbum 

Oh Lordy, don't even get me started on the vocal fry! lol. And when they do vocal fry AND uptalk at the same time .... well .... just shoot me now. Smiley Very Happy

Super Contributor

@Witchy Woman 

Oh she knows it alright, lol. She is very feminine in her ways and soooo prissy! She HATES getting her feet wet. She is the only dog I've ever had who LOVES to be groomed, lol.

Honored Contributor

I've never heard of vocal fry before.  Is it something deliberate like uptalking or is it something that you can't control?