Super Contributor

Host's upspeak, uptalk, rising inflection, upward inflection, or high rising intonation (HRI)

There are a few hosts whose uptalk speech is constant and distracting, as well as sounding Valley-girl'ish.

I know, I know, change the channel. Sometimes, however, I'm interested in the item being shown and there is no choice but to endure the uptalk if I want to learn about the item.

Does this bother you? Please don't be unkind about it; we can all disagree.

It is Saturday morning and there is a host on who went through an entire presentation using uptalk in every.single.sentence. Ugh!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Host's upspeak, uptalk, rising inflection, upward inflection, or high rising intonation (HRI)

I to  have been very interested in an item and  a particular Host talks so loud and flings their hands around while  shaking their head. The Host looks  very goofy when they do all these dramatic motions constantly . It is so distracting when they interrupt the  product rep while they are trying to explain  the item or clothing .

The Host on this am   , must have  been mentored by the Host that acts like a dramtic wind up doll.  I think QVC would be better served to get away from their old online sales format of the Hosts yelling and acting like they had to much coffee while over talking the product vendors .

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Host's upspeak, uptalk, rising inflection, upward inflection, or high rising intonation (HRI)

@AussieLuvr 

This -- and other reasons -- are why I no longer watch.

When I found myself feeling cranky during a presentation, I knew it was time to move on.

Believe me, I was a dedicated shopper/watcher, so it was difficult, but....each time I tried tuning back in, I found myself yelling at the TV. 

That's not good Cat LOL

These things were not annoying to me in the beginning, but I find now, they are...along with the loudness and fast talking. 

Just had to let it go...But the upside is, I've saved money!

Super Contributor

@Witchy Woman 

When I'm reading or working on my laptop I frequently keep QVC on the TV on mute, lol. If I happen to look up and something grabs my attention, I'll turn up the volume.

I think we all have our favorite and least favorite hosts; different strokes for different folks is what makes life interesting.

HOWEVER! You would think, that when a person makes their living by speaking on TV for hours at a time, that they would be more cognizant of their speech.

I am, at least, grateful that none of them use filler words like "um", "uh", and "like" too often.

I think, though, that I am quickly approaching your level of frustration! That, and I almost never order anything anymore that doesn't have free shipping; at least they'll only get me on the return. Smiley Happy 

Esteemed Contributor

I think elocution is important, yes.  I've always wanted to sound like Kathleen Turner in Body Heat.

Working in retail will change speech patterns - always in a rush to speak before the next interruption.  These hosts do have a lot to spit out.  Some are easier on my ears than others.  I guess what gets noticed is the important thing.

(Upspeak is annoying to me)

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No does not bother me, its not that big of a deal.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@AussieLuvr 

I must ask, is that your sweet pup in your avatar?

Such a sweet face and beautiful coloring!  

Trusted Contributor

I don't notice it too much with QVC hosts (although many are on mute for me!), but Erin Newberg on ShopHQ has a huge "uptalk" pattern.  And yes, it does bother me.  Back to muting the TV! 

Super Contributor

@Witchy Woman 

She is my sweet Aussie girl!

She retired from the show ring about a year and a half ago and just turned eight.

She is a multiple AKC and ASCA grand champion in obedience, agility, conformation, and rally.

I take no credit for any of it though; I am good friends with a very high-end Aussie breeder/shower and this is the fourth dog I've gotten from her in thirty years time after she retires them. 

Marde (Rainyday's As You Like It) has more letters and titles after her name than I even know the meaning of! What I DO know is that she is a perfectly obedient and well behaved, loving and protective beauty who I adore beyond measure.

She likes to lay in my lap while I watch QVC at night. 48 pounds of dog and 5 pounds of fur. Smiley Very Happy.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AussieLuvr 

She sounds very special.

And really is beautiful.  I'm sure she is a joy to have around.  I wouldn't mind her lounging around on me at all!

You are lucky to have each other!