Esteemed Contributor

Re: Host claims that they use/own the product

Exactly!  @Nancy Drew 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

My issue is not that they get everything and try everything or even buy everything.  That's understandable.

It's when they say each is their favorite or is the best or works the best.....

Some of them need to take notes to keep their stories straight.

I agree.

It's laughable when they say they use one skin care line exclusively, and then say the same thing when they're trying to sell another skin care line a few days later.  They're "loyal" to whatever product happens to be in front of them.

It's ridiculous, and I don't take anything they say seriously.

Esteemed Contributor

@mosky wrote:

It means nothing to me if the host says she has one or its her favorite product.I will order the product if I want it ,not because the host likes it.Frankly,I would prefer the host not talking about her feelings on the product...His or her opinion on the product,is not a selling feature for me.If I am interested in something,all I want are the information so I can make a decision!,not how many she has purchased for her relatives!!

I don't care either if a host claims to love a product or if she says she owns something in every color or gave it to everyone on her Christmas list, etc.  It makes not one bit of difference to me and is noit at all an incentive for me to buy.

In fact it comes across as too much of a hard sell, which is a sure way for me not to buy.  Like you, I'd prefer that they pay more attention to describing and showing items rather than run out of time because they went off on all kind of personal tangents.

Respected Contributor

I don't give a darn what the host says about owning/using a product.  They are SALESMEN.  They'll say whatever they have to say to convince you to buy a product.  Take what they say with a grain of salt.  Make your own judgement as to whether or not the product will meet your needs.

Esteemed Contributor

Owning a product does not mean you bought it. Giving free samples to hosts and vendors to me is similar to giving PR to social media influencers and magazine editors to review. It’s all advertizing whether disclosed or not to the public so I take it with a large grain of salt whenever something is said to be the best.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Johnnyeager wrote:

My issue is not that they get everything and try everything or even buy everything.  That's understandable.

It's when they say each is their favorite or is the best or works the best.....

Some of them need to take notes to keep their stories straight.

@Johnnyeager 

ITA, I read where the host get a lot of samples and its one thing to say "I tried it and was pleased with it" versus..."this is my favorite foundation and what I use in my every day life "....and then on the next beauty show, different vendor ......"this is my favorite foundation and what I use in my every day life "  It just comes across as insincere and creates a distrust of the host....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I don't believe their tired sales pitches at all.  They may get samples to try, but they claim everything is a favorite when they are selling it.  Days later they are selling the same type of product by a different vendor and then it's their favorite.   They contradict themselves constantly. 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

All I know is the host and models who are using all that skin care for 20 years now have aged just as badly as I have.....

A few of them look especially bad now too. 

Trusted Contributor

I think when it comes to clothing, Carolyn and Mary Beth are definitely telling the truth (and the other hosts, but I seem to see these two saying it often).  Carolyn says she donates clothing to charity every year.  

Esteemed Contributor

@MarthaStewardess wrote:

I don't believe their tired sales pitches at all.  They may get samples to try, but they claim everything is a favorite when they are selling it.  Days later they are selling the same type of product by a different vendor and then it's their favorite.   They contradict themselves constantly. 

It's one of the many things they do that, IMO, insults the intelligence of viewers.