Regular Contributor

Re: Host claims that they use/own the product

[ Edited ]

I use to work at a very popular retail store and whenever a new product was being placed in the store, each employee got it free, whenever it was a beauty product or clothing item. So, yes I can see them owning it whether they got it as a sample product or at a discount. 

Honored Contributor

I'm sure they are pretty much given samples of everything they are expected to sell.  Or maybe the samples are made available at work, they can try them there then pitch them out.

Samples have always been a huge part of selling.  So that's understandable.  

I never thought of David as "bragging" when he says he owns something.  I'm sure he has one, has had one, or can claim one if he wants.  Bragging?  Doesn't fit my definition of bragging.  

Honored Contributor

The hosts are given a lot of stuff for free. They have talked about receiving brand new beauty products that are being launched.  I remember way back when Shawn talking about how she arrived home and there was a huge box on her doorstep of Joan Rivers jewelry that Joan had sent her.  They've talked about getting certain products ahead of time so they can try them out before they are shown.

I remember in the past when D&B was having a handbag TSV, every host was posting photos on their social media carrying the bag, weeks before it was going to be sold.  I'm sure every host received that bag for free and I'm sure many carried it in that photo only.

I know on HSN, any host that was going to present certain TSV items received one for free.  They've mentioned receiving Gilman, Rancic, Iman, Joy, etc. TSV items beforehand so they could wear them.       

Honored Contributor

I'm sure they receive many beauty products to try before they present them.  Same for cooking items, perhaps cleaning products, etc.  However, I do think they claim too many "favorites" and "all I use".  Sales ploy for sure.

Valued Contributor

It means nothing to me if the host says she has one or its her favorite product.I will order the product if I want it ,not because the host likes it.Frankly,I would prefer the host not talking about her feelings on the product...His or her opinion on the product,is not a selling feature for me.If I am interested in something,all I want are the information so I can make a decision!,not how many she has purchased for her relatives!!

Esteemed Contributor

Just a sales gimmick and not believable.  And they love ❤️ each and every item.

Esteemed Contributor

I definitly believe it is a sales pitch...........so don't really take it into consideration.....and i know i have heard contradictions to their claims over the years............a couple weeks back the NYDJ were being shown different times during the same day i was watching and i think almost EVERY host claimed they were their favorite jeans (and i do think most of them were being truthful....haha)...i was surprised they would actually claim the NYDJ were their favorite considering QVC sells many jeans brands ..........

but how many times i have heard other  jeans were the 

most comfortable, or best jeans, etc...

Have heard some many contradictions at other times....so take it all with a grain of salt...........

Valued Contributor

It's both. they are given a LOT of products to try, use and be familiar with, for a presentation.

OWN, depends on how you look at it. if they are given a product, i guess it's acceptable to say that you own it, just like if someone gives you a xmas gift, you own it.

That is different from buying it. you don't hear this often.

Trusted Contributor

Whatever they are pitching that day is their favorite.  Changes daily. Hahaha

Esteemed Contributor

All I know is the host and models who are using all that skin care for 20 years now have aged just as badly as I have.....

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.