Regular Contributor

Host Training, Does Anyone Have the Info On Such Things As ...

... dress, product knowledge, conduct, etc.?  I was curious about host training after an interview and hiring.  Does anyone here know what is expected from a host, especially if they've never sold before? Are they expected to wear clothing and accessories from the Q if they're not representing a clothing or jewelry line on camera?  Also conduct; would a host know if some topics are acceptable and when not to divulge information or if something was totally off limits?  I know they can't make certain medical claims because of legal reasons.

I guess I need a handbook, however I couldn't google anything at all about this. I'd appreciate any serious replies.  Thank you.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Host Training, Does Anyone Have the Info On Such Things As ...

Honored Contributor

It's top secret.

Trusted Contributor

@greenjean1 wrote:

... dress, product knowledge, conduct, etc.?  I was curious about host training after an interview and hiring.  Does anyone here know what is expected from a host, especially if they've never sold before? Are they expected to wear clothing and accessories from the Q if they're not representing a clothing or jewelry line on camera?  Also conduct; would a host know if some topics are acceptable and when not to divulge information or if something was totally off limits?  I know they can't make certain medical claims because of legal reasons.

I guess I need a handbook, however I couldn't google anything at all about this. I'd appreciate any serious replies.  Thank you.

I'm sure they have very specific corporate and HR guidelines to follow as any business does.  I worked for a large jewelry corporation and our continuous education and corporate training never stopped!  It keeps you fresh & there is no doubt on what is expected of you as an employee.  New employees are carefully groomed in every corporation whether or not it is QVC.

Honored Contributor

They do not have to wear QVC clothing unless they are presenting clothing.  Most of them don't wear QVC clothes.  That's the only question you asked that I know the answer to.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

They don't have to have sales experience.  Most have worked as on air talent in news and radio.  Carolyn Gracie was a disc-jockey.  Rick Domier was an actor.  Lisa Robertson was in beauty pageants. One of the new hosts is a soap opera actress. The Meet Hosts section use to give detailed work histories.

The females hosts do not have wear Q clothing. Some will, so don't.  Amy, Carolyn and Leah will be one who don Q fashions on regular basis. Most of the wear the jewelry.

As to conduct, you'll have to contact QVC's HR department.

Someone post a link to QVC careers in this thread. Look there for further information.

Trusted Contributor

Marybeth Roe is the host responsible for training the new hosts. She delegates to other hosts, but the new Enlgish host said that she was in charge. 

Honored Contributor

You should contact Sharon F. on her FB page, @greenjean1.   She was asking her followers recently what they wanted to know about a QVC host job and stated she would share the information with everyone.

I don't follow her, but there was a thread about this recently.

Regular Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

You should contact Sharon F. on her FB page, @greenjean1.   She was asking her followers recently what they wanted to know about a QVC host job and stated she would share the information with everyone.

I don't follow her, but there was a thread about this recently.

Thank you for that info!