Respected Contributor

Re: Honestly does QVC think customers are "foolish", ie, prices

@manny2 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I buy things that are not on sale.  Really!  Sometimes I just see something, think I would wear it a lot and buy it.

@Sooner I don't understand your post. The OP is posting about the ridiculous prices QVC calls a sale price. The fact that you buy items that are not on sale escapes me.

I think Sooner means that a product doesn't necessarily have to be on sale for her to buy it -- maybe she wants it for herself or to send as a gift immediately, or she suspects she'll lose the chance to get it in the size or color she wants (or get it at all) if she waits.  I feel the same way.  

Honored Contributor

@vsm wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I buy things that are not on sale.  Really!  Sometimes I just see something, think I would wear it a lot and buy it.

@Sooner I don't understand your post. The OP is posting about the ridiculous prices QVC calls a sale price. The fact that you buy items that are not on sale escapes me.

I think Sooner means that a product doesn't necessarily have to be on sale for her to buy it -- maybe she wants it for herself or to send as a gift immediately, or she suspects she'll lose the chance to get it in the size or color she wants (or get it at all) if she waits.  I feel the same way.  

Actually I am not really a sale shopper.  I buy clothes at the first of the season, buy what I want and/or need, and that's that.  I buy very little on sale--especially at season's end.

To me that's not a good value and is something that is apt to fill my closet with clothes I don't want or like or need when the season rolls around again.

I buy less and wear it more to shop pre-season.  

Trusted Contributor

What I think is funny (not ha ha) about the EZ Pay is that, for instance, the Nutrisystem TSV is on 5 monthly payments. But, if you are on the auto delivery plan, by the time the second month comes, you are paying for months 1 and 2. Then Month 3 and you are paying 3 payments and on and on. How ridiculous is that? I might be able to see the point if you are buying something that is expensive, but if you are signing up for something that gets added on every month, I don't get it. Also for the food items they sell. Why would you want to be paying for something 5 months after it has been eaten?

Trusted Contributor

I've noticed this about sales prices also.  Unless the sales price is significant, I'd rather wait and see some reviews.  Even with a good sales price, I won't buy unless I've checked the internet.  Rarely, a retailer will have something I can't pass up and I've paid the regular price.  Otherwise, I will put things on a wish list and if there is a great price, then bonus!, I snap it up.  

Regarding mattresses, I bought one from Tuft and Needle online. It wasn't quite a blind purchase because one of my co-workers has 2 and did recommend it.  I love it, but the point is that had I not liked it, it doesn't get returned.  They have you donate it, so I figured it wasn't a gamble.  

And regarding easy pay, I'm noticing several other places have the option for payments.  Have no idea how it works, but looks like QVC will no longer be the only ones doing that.  

Super Contributor

As for the TempurPedic beds, I'd never buy one online. 
I love my bed! 
I have the TempurPedic platform and mattress. I bought it locally where they tested my sleep position etc. (my son sells them)  I got one that worked perfectly for me. They installed it, explained all of the features  (Massage, lights under it, different positions etc) 

And the local store will stand behind your purchase. They rely on their local reputation.

It's too important and personal a purchase to make online in my opinion.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@this is my nic wrote:

@MoonieBaby 

@homedecor1 

I believe the Q's top ten things that are given any thought are:

1.  Bottom line

2.  Bottom line

3.  Bottom line 

4.  Bottom line 

5.  Bottom line 

Same for 6 through 10. The only place we customers have in thoughts is how much they're spending and what they're purchasing.  

@this is my nic - Actually, I think #5 or #6 must be "pretty colors." For some reason, the powers that be seem to think that rebranding, constantly changing the accent colors on the website, bringing in products in a rainbow of colors and having hosts endlessly recite the remaining quantities of them, and making multiple references to the "Pantone color of the year" in every presentation from home decor to clothing to jewelry to vacuum cleaners will yield more sales and make everyone happy.

Super Contributor

Yesterday there was a pair of Skechers in AM Style that caught my eye. They were at a "sale" price...$6 and change off. But $5.50 shipping..plus tax negates the savings. I have a similar style of these from Skechers...they are super light and $5.50 shipping is ridiculous on this shoe in my opinion. QVC has Dooney bags at full price with around $10 shipping while other sites have the same at free shipping and offer discount codes and sale prices.

I am not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.
Esteemed Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@manny2  I believe @Sooner's response was in agreement with the OP but it was a sarcastic take.

No.  My comment is that not everyone is always looking for a sale or to pay much attention to "how much off" something is.  It is what it is. If you want it at that price buy it.  

@manny2- lol I guess I was off the mark and have been corrected. 

@qbetzforreal that's ok, posts like that are how discussions go off topic. 

Honored Contributor

When they do have a sale price on a lower priced item,until you pay tax and S&H it's a third of the sale price, so you aren't saving anything. I have waited for certain items to go on sale at the Q, it never does and I end up paying full price if I can't live without it. I like to get a bargain, but I'm not strictly a bargain shopper. I just think it's easy for people to shop the Q and people get into a rut, plus I bet 90% of their customers are over 50 and I bet people 65 and older buy the most.

Respected Contributor

@Jamstan I saw them as well and like you, I did the math in my head and decided that even though they were cute and I liked them, they weren't really on sale and I didn't "need" them so I didn't purchase them.