Respected Contributor

Considering the cost of the Le Crueset dutch oven and skillet lid, I hope a chef is included to do the cooking! 

Honored Contributor

Quite pricey, indeed!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Trusted Contributor

@this is my nic----Check out the rest of the line. 85.00 for utensils? AND don't forget you need someone to left them,especially if you have food in them.-----tedEbear

Honored Contributor

Purses cost that much.  You can't cook in a purse.  You can spend that much on a cosmetics set.  You can't cook in that either.  Tablets cost that much; phones; all things you can't cook in.  What's the problem?

Honored Contributor

I have a lesser brand name pot that I love, cooks really well and I love it (couldn't afford the Le Crueset) but it has ended up in the back of my pan cupboard because I can hardly deal with how heavy it is.....  but even the Le Crueset wannabes are wonderful, but I need an engine lift to get it on and off my stove.....   Woman Wink

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

I own 2 Dutch ovens, one was my mom's the other was my grandmother's.  Both are over 60 years old and still going strong.  I doubt they paid $10.00 for them all those years ago.  No, they aren't colorful, but no one sees them except me.  I don't take them out on the town! 

Respected Contributor

To each his or her own.  As I have thoughtfully tried to downsize possessions in my older years, one criteria I use for furniture, household & kitchen items, I strive toward multi-use items.  The ottoman serves as both storage & coffee table,  decorative baskets store misccellany & be toted from room to room, etc.

When I looked at my cookware, I narrowed it down to what could be used both stovetop & in the oven.  Additionally, you can cook a little in a large vessel, but you can't cook a lot in a small vessel.  While some cookware can be used in the oven, not all can tolerate very high temps or the broiler.  I have a Le Creuset set where the lid can be used as a skillet.  I have a Staub cast iron everyday pan that can be used as a

skillet, casserole, & saucepan.  They sit out on the stove because yes, they are heavy, & because I use them constantly.  The only time the get moved is to be washed & yes, I do have to use both hands.  Other than the Kuhn Rikon 5th burner pot, these are the only cookware I have.  I figure when I can no longer lift the cast iron, I'll probably have someone else cooking & feeding me.

Honored Contributor

Just like with any other product, there's a whole range of prices for cookware.  We all get to choose if we're fortunate enough to have a bit of money.

The TSV looks beautiful and if I were young and strong and cooked often for a group, I'd love to own something from this line.

My life being what it is, I'll be spending my $250 on something else.  Whatever I decide to buy, I'd bet someone would tell me I could buy a cheaper version and still someone else would know where I might choose something more upscale.  Doesn't matter what they think - unless they're paying, their opinions don't count for much.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Holy Le Crueset!

[ Edited ]

For the price of the TSV to much money and if you can't or don't like cooking this pot is not going to turn me into a gourmet chief. 

Honored Contributor

I now have about 6 Le Creuset pieces.  I buy a new piece about once every year and give away a similar item that I have, each time.

I'll never give away these pieces...the quality, performance, and easy cleaning....when I die, someone else can have them!

The TSV seems to be a great value to me.  But I do have a similar sized round pot as well as a grill pan.