Trusted Contributor

Re: Haven’t Seen Mary in Quite a While

@rms1954 wrote:

But I did catch a show she hosted earlier today.  Denim & Co.  Sure has changed ... I remember when she was with David and many didn't care for her and I felt differently.  She was so soft and quiet.  

"Come on navy, seriously, oh my gosh.  Look at that ... look at the price tag $26 and change.  Oh boy I'm gonna get amped up.  This is flat out robbery.  Oh, Hamptons.  Who is she and who does she live next to ... probably Martha Stewart probably." Of course she ordered one in every color.   

So loud and rather aggressive.  Not at all like I remember when I enjoyed her.  Guess that's what happens to all of them.  

I didn;t find her aggressive at all, I found her fun,informative and selling the product because her job is sales.  

I have always liked Mary and thought she was great today as well.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I really thought she shinned  when she did those  Holiday shows where she was giving info abt various wines and food from a few years ago ( ? 2018/19) . She was witty and gave some practical information. They should have her  do that again  highlighting the wines they are now selling.

Trusted Contributor

I haven't watch Mary recently, so I can't comment directly on any recent change in her style of presenting items.  In the past when I have seen her, I've always thought she was pleasant and easy enough to watch.

I have noticed big changes in other hosts' presentation styles, and usually I don't find them to be changes for the positive.  Usually it's a case of a calm, gentle, normal paced speaking host becoming a vamped up, louder version of herself, and that's not a style I enjoy.

But, I always think that it's probably due to pressure from management, and the hosts are told to make those changes.  They are constantly being monitored as to their sales numbers, and constantly under pressure to sell, sell, sell.  I don't think those changes are ever made by their choice, and I'm sure they hate it.

If we knew exactly what those hosts went through to keep their good paying jobs, I'm sure we would be more gentle in our critiques of their selling styles.

I hate watching them when they become loud and aggressive, but I guess it works, because it keeps happening.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with the negative comments.   She was loud and obnoxious.   Fashion presentation is definitely not her thing.  Maybe she should stick to food 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rms1954 

For the most part I do enjoy Mary as a host, but there are times when she does get a tiny bit out of control....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

I don't see her that often because I don't watch the food or kitchen shows.  But I just saw her selling clothing and all I could think about was her make up.  She had on so much blush that she looked totally overdone.

I don't really have any strong feelings about her one way or the other regarding her hosting abilities.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead