Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have You Noticed...........

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

You have to wonder...are there people out there who really buy into the hosts' sales tactics?? It's just hard for me to fathom that people could be so gullible.

Yes, there are.  And quite a lot of people too.  Every sales-tactic phrase they use has been tested to see what kind of response it gets.  There's a reason why salespeople fall back on the same phrases over and over. 

On QVC, sales are closely monitored in real time, and they pay close attention to what makes sales spike and what doesn't.  Showing various colors, for example, gets a good response, so that's why they have the hosts do it so often.  When they see sales start to drop, they have the hosts show the colors again - or do or say something else that has been proven to be effective.  There's a method to everything they do. 

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

I think Carolyn Gracie is one of the "hard sell" hosts. A couple of her favorite lines are 'You can buy more than one' and 'A lot of people are picking up multiples.' Sure. Not me.

@Mimi 1883.   One of these days I'm going to  count the number of times Carolyn says "Stay in the ordering process" during a one hour show.  I guess she thinks we're all going to hang up our phones just because she's winding up her spiel.

@Kachina624  LOL! Don't get me wrong, I do like her as a host. She just has a "hard sell" tactic about her more so than some of the others. It was too funny when the guy from Denim & Co told her she was pushy. Smiley Very Happy

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

that some of the new hosts are constantly using the phrase "this is a great opportunity."   I am so sick of hearing it.  They use it constantly in one program and it sounds so shopping network.  I wish they would be more natural instead of being so rehearsed.

@Katcat1 

But what's ironic to me is a lot of the hosts new and tenured are so busy throwing out catch phrases and sales gimmicks BUT yet are rather skimpy on product features and product information that might actually make us want to purchase the item.....It's mostly sales catch phrases and COLORS COLORS COLORS!!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

I think Carolyn Gracie is one of the "hard sell" hosts. A couple of her favorite lines are 'You can buy more than one' and 'A lot of people of picking up multiples.' Sure. Not me.

David's is 'The phone lines are EXTREMELY busy...'

Uh huh. Don't think so.

You have to wonder...are there people out there who really buy into the hosts' sales tactics?? It's just hard for me to fathom that people could be so gullible.

@Mimi 1883 

David's are the "infamous" happy dance, and "let's go through the colors one more time"....instead of a sale nothing makes me grab the remote faster.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

It amazes me that anyone still thinks the Q is just a shopping channel. The hosts think they are celebrities, I don't know any shop girls who think they are celebs.I think QVC watchers want a little more than same old same old from their celebrity hosts.

@blackhole99 

LOL..Oh and fan clubs (celebrity status) isn't just for hosts....People plastered the Forums and Facebook with inquiries regarding the whereabouts of Chris the Lock N Lock lady...I guess she has to go on the national news to get the word out she's taking a vacation...SMH (nothing against Chris, she's pleasant and does a good job I just don't need to know her itinerary...SHEESH!)

Esteemed Contributor

Here's the thing, for a $20 bill alert ,you can get them in several colors or for your gift closet.

Frequent Contributor

LOL the "story" thing drives me nuts too. Years ago I remember Rick D overusing that and I guess it spreads kind of like strep!  I think they must get on autopilot and use the same words over and over because it's easier.

Trusted Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

It amazes me that anyone still thinks the Q is just a shopping channel. The hosts think they are celebrities, I don't know any shop girls who think they are celebs.I think QVC watchers want a little more than same old same old from their celebrity hosts.

@blackhole99 

LOL..Oh and fan clubs (celebrity status) isn't just for hosts....People plastered the Forums and Facebook with inquiries regarding the whereabouts of Chris the Lock N Lock lady...I guess she has to go on the national news to get the word out she's taking a vacation...SMH (nothing against Chris, she's pleasant and does a good job I just don't need to know her itinerary...SHEESH!)

@Spurt You are too right! Hehhhhhh! Lol!

Trusted Contributor

Do any of you find yourselves answering the hosts...especially if nobody else is at home...or you're discussing something they said with your pet? I do, usually sarcastically but truthfully, if I had to talk about a top or a pair of shoes for 10 min., it's hard to say what subject I'd get on. (Kinda like this last sentence, letting the mind wander...) Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

I think Carolyn Gracie is one of the "hard sell" hosts. A couple of her favorite lines are 'You can buy more than one' and 'A lot of people are picking up multiples.' Sure. Not me.

@Mimi 1883.   One of these days I'm going to  count the number of times Carolyn says "Stay in the ordering process" during a one hour show.  I guess she thinks we're all going to hang up our phones just because she's winding up her spiel.

@Kachina624  LOL! Don't get me wrong, I do like her as a host. She just has a "hard sell" tactic about her more so than some of the others. It was too funny when the guy from Denim & Co told her she was pushy. Smiley Very Happy

@Mimi 1883   I like Carolyn too but she has her moments.  Recently she had a 1 hour show with Isaac then a show with Gary.  She was on a tear and neither of these men were meeting her standards.  First she ordered Isaac around leaving him astounded, then she went after Gary.  She mixed up clothing so her colors recitation was off.  She shoved an armload at him and told him to straighten them out then she went to the models leaving him at the clothes rack.  It amused me.  Carolyn, Jill and Jayne Brown are all very bossy, alpha hosts.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment