Occasional Contributor

Has anyone found mold growing on lock-n-lock lid seal?

On occasion I find a random lid seal has turned black in spots - I assume this is mold. I removed and scrubbed the offending seals.  I only hand wash - no dishwasher.

1. I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and

2., if so, what am I doing wrong to cause this? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone found mold growing on lock-n-lock lid seal?

@TropicalLu   I hand wash my Lock N Lock and stand the lids up to dry.  Have never encountered mold.

Maybe someone else will have an ideea/solution for you.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Frequent Contributor

No yet but I always check to make sure it's not happening.

Respected Contributor

I wash all of my Lock n Lock on the top rack in my dishwasher, and have never seen mold.

Respected Contributor

I periodically pull the silicone ring out to clean around it.

Valued Contributor

@TropicalLu wrote:

On occasion I find a random lid seal has turned black in spots - I assume this is mold. I removed and scrubbed the offending seals.  I only hand wash - no dishwasher.

1. I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and

2., if so, what am I doing wrong to cause this? 

Can only say many years ago when  they first came out with just the clear I did  see  black spots forming around the sealing  band  on the lid. I only hand wash but  I then started  removing the sealing  band when washing  and let it dry completely,and  then replaced.  I  thought somehow  the rubber seal  stayed wet and mold started. Have brought sets over the years and think the bands  are  much improved tight ,that water doesn't  get under the bands.

Esteemed Contributor

@TropicalLu  I've never seen mold on my L&L lids. I always dry the lids and containers on mats and store the lids stacked underneath the stacked L&L. It bothers me when Chris P. shows the containers fitting inside one another. If there is any dampness inside, there is going to be a musty smell at the very least.

Honored Contributor

I make sure the lids and seals are 100% dry before I  put them back on the bowl, etc.

Mold will form if you put a lid with a damp seal on and put it in a dark cupboard.

yes, I  have had mold form in the past...I solved the problem.

Honored Contributor

@TropicalLu    Your lids aren't thoroughly dry when you store them.  Don't store with lids on them sealed.  Give them a chance to completely dry.  I'd wash on top dishwasher rack with heat to be sure they're dry.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Yes, and when I find it, I remove the silicone ring and soak it with the lid in dishwater with bleach added.