Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone called QVC to say how u feel about these firings?

[ Edited ]

@Caaareful Shopper 

Bet it's not "irrelevant" or semantics to those who were laid off....

Because...it affects post employment benefits.

Did you ever have a job?

You DO know that layoffs happen, right?

Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote

This excerpt is Dan Hughes posting on his personal FB page this morning:

"The sheer number of people who have responded to my termination from QVC has been overwhelming."

Seems he wanted to say that loud & clear. 

Dan is a "man of the people" kind of person.  Not a glitzy or showy individual. He enjoys simple farm life. I'm sure he is taken a back by the amount of kindness and praise being thrown his way. Carolyn and Dan were two oldies but goodies who we welcomed into our homes because they were soothing.

Contributor

I called and wrote to QVC! I had to let them know how I felt about their bad decision making!
Esteemed Contributor

Well, perhaps some will open a Go Fund Me for them, and they can get a boat and go sailing!

Trusted Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote

This excerpt is Dan Hughes posting on his personal FB page this morning:

"The sheer number of people who have responded to my termination from QVC has been overwhelming."

Seems he wanted to say that loud & clear. 

Dan is a "man of the people" kind of person.  Not a glitzy or showy individual. He enjoys simple farm life. I'm sure he is taken a back by the amount of kindness and praise being thrown his way. Carolyn and Dan were two oldies but goodies who we welcomed into our homes because they were soothing.

The public "persona" is often very different from the one behind the scenes.

“All unsolicited advice is self-serving.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Othereeeen wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper 

Bet it's not "irrelevant" or semantics to those who were laid off....

Because...it affects post employment benefits.

Did you ever have a job?

You DO know that layoffs happen, right?

@Othereeeen   My comment about the terminology was directed at the conversation on this forum, that's who I was "speaking to."  I would never be so inconsiderate as to treat a job loss as irrelevant in any matter.

Is that clear enough for you?  Does that meet your standards?  Perhaps before you jump down someone's throat, you take a breath or two.

One more thing, Dan himself called it a "termination."  That's in his own words from his personal Facebook page that he posted this morning.  Want to pick a fight with him too?

I've been through the layoff scenario four times -- and lost my job in two of them.

In the mid 90's I was a manager in a huge corporation. The 90's saw lots of corporate layoffs. 

When that 1st layoff hit me, I was actually given a choice to move to the Boston office (from my home in NYC) or take the severance package.  The package back then for my salary and tenure was 18 months.  So I was let go & took the severance package.  

The 2nd & 3rd layoff scenarios happened around me, not to me. I remained in my job and had to watch my co-workers and friends get laid off without notice in a mass exodus. I was saved, but I felt terrible guilt and stress and awful anxiety.  Plus, I had to pick up the responsibilities of 2 employees who were let go.  I soon left on my own for a new job.

The 4th layoff scenario, I was only at this new company a little under a year, so the severance money was a joke, but the free job search consultant services were very good.  Soon, I found the job of my career, and I've been there now for 15 years. 

It's awful, all around, and I speak from experience. 

Honored Contributor

@Iiuu wrote:
I called and wrote to QVC! I had to let them know how I felt about their bad decision making!

@Iiuu   Without having a lot more information than is available to us, you have no way of knowing whether it was a good or bad decision.

If people eligible for retirement got a nice incentive package, they may have been the lucky ines.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Caaareful Shopper  I was just thinking how argumentative this entire Forum is when I clicked on this thread.  What snarky responses to your question!  I wrote to QVC to say how disappointed I am in their decision.

I was introduced to QVC by an elderly lady who wore only Susan Graver clothing.  I then began watching and discovered all the other designers and I was hooked.  I love to talk about clothing with women, or hear women talk about clothing.  I thought that was what this forum would be about.  I liked the old fashion shows with Jayne Brown and Pat Dimenteri -- two very classy ladies who gave lots of good information about fashion in general.  I hope QVC can get back to that.  I don't care whose kids are performing at ballets or whose family is on a mission to be perfect, but I do like hearing women discussing fashion.

Respected Contributor

Of everything that's transpired this week I am most amazed at how many buy (or bought) into the television personality created for broadcast, as if it is the true person behind the host being transmitted. 

I enjoy watching many of them as television creations (as on a sitcom), but believe very little.

Esteemed Contributor

@MissBonBon wrote:

@magicmoodz Despicable is right! And I am still in shock at the revelation of what he had said and even more shocked that he was allowed to remain so long at QVC.

@MissBonBon  If Dan had made those same comments today, he would have been fired and would have received no severance package.

I only learned of his comments this morning by doing a little research so I feel validated that my intuition and dislike for him from the beginning was warranted.

I wonder if his fan base would feel differently about him if they were aware.