Honored Contributor

Re: Hard Sell with Finger Pointing

Whatever QVC and their hosts are doing during the presentations.... research has told them it works.... or they would stop doing it.  Everything is based on business research.

So what to do?  Well, we have to modify what we do in our own homes.....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@Perkup wrote:

@KYToby wrote:

If you do not want to watch sales presentations, perhaps a shopping channel is not your best viewing option.

Yes, I agree with you.  But I do llike to watch calm, informative sales presentations, and sometimes enjoy QVC. Like the OP, when the finger pointing, hard sell, fast talking, etc begins, I go elsewhere.  All I want is the information so I can decide if I want to buy.  The used car salesman approach doesn't do it for me, and the faster the host talks, the more he loses me.  I also turn off the high kicking, booty shaking, joyful dancing, and dum dum faces.  Would you buy a dress from someone who showed you how high you can kick and danced about when they showed you a garment? Probably not.

If I wanted the clothing or item I wouldn't care what the host or vendor does - I definitely would buy.  I'm not the type to cut my nose off to spite my face!  

Hearted by mistake.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm really noticing how much almost each word is emphasized with the arms going up and down.  I would prefer they point to the item or hold it.

Honored Contributor

As a general rule, wherever I encounter it, finger-pointing is a total turn-off to me and I will turn off, turn down, or turn away, wherever I observe it. It has the opposite effect on me than its users hope it does.

If there is something I'm interested in seeing and hearing presented and/or I want to get a good look at it, if I dislike the presentation I will often mute it and just watch. But I'm not a routine or frequent buyer and when I have QVC on it's usually for "background", so easy for me to mute or change the channel to another shopping channel - which are all just as annoying in their own way.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

As a child, I was told that finger pointing is impolite. I honestly have not noticed it on the Q, but it may be that I don't watch the hosts who are most likely to do that. I could see it being a turn off.

Trusted Contributor

Early morning presentations with a certain host are loud, abrasive, hand on hip the finger is pointed at the viewer to further drive home the point.  Despite objections expressed, this impolite hard sell continues unabated .  OP is right, this behavior is offensive. 

Honored Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

If you do not want to watch sales presentations, perhaps a shopping channel is not your best viewing option.

@KYToby 

Perhaps, they were interested in the product and that's why they were watching.....the online descriptions don't give a lot of info.....and if you wait for a video to be posted, it might be sold out...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@JP60 wrote:

Don't mind sales presentations.....just not being pointed at & told I have to buy something now, as if the host is actually a used car salesperson.......just asking for a little class in the presentation......I tend to purchase more from classier hosts like MaryBeth, Pat, Jane, Carolyn......they are more down to earth & professional, in my opinion

@JP60 Carolyn, Pat, Leah, and MaryBeth are my favorite hosts....and from few times I've seen him Alberti too....

I think what we are saying is we want more SUBSTANCE (product info and demonstrations) rather than SALES GIMMICKS and SCREAMING HOSTS! ..... reminds me of those lawyer commercials who seem to be begging for business---LOL!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Q4u wrote:

Whatever QVC and their hosts are doing during the presentations.... research has told them it works.... or they would stop doing it.  Everything is based on business research.

So what to do?  Well, we have to modify what we do in our own homes.....  

@Q4u  But according to their financial reports the increase in sales revenues seem to be going down, they used to be 9%, then dropped to 7%, then 5%, and last quarter 3%......perhaps a change in sales approach would have QVC going back in the right direction...

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Hearted by mistake.

@ECBG  To revoke heart, first hit your REFRESH key on your browser, THEN click the dots in the upper right hand corner, and there's an option to REVOKE your heart.  Supposed to work on Ipad Mac in addition to computer....