Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hard Credit pull at Shop HQ

Maybe I'm wrong about this bt I always thought that in order for a Company to do a Credit Check they would need your SS#.

There are so many people with the same name, so how can they tell which is the correct one?

@Carmie, looking to you for an answer lol

Happy new Year.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sage04   I thought about that too.  Great minds think alike.

i think that if you have a credit card, the credit card company has your SS on file and can check on your credit history at will.  They would have your permission on file from when you first applied for credit.   The Retailer can't check your credit report, but the bank that issued the credit card can.

Happy New Year to you as well.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Sage04   I thought about that too.  Great minds think alike.

i think that if you have a credit card, the credit card company has your SS on file and can check on your credit history at will.  They would have your permission on file from when you first applied for credit.   The Retailer can't check your credit report, but the bank that issued the credit card can.

Happy New Year to you as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That makes sense. So as long as you have a Credit Card on file with the Retailer they can do it.

I always use a Debit Card and I know the Bank has my information but I've never had this happen. Don't know if there is a difference in the Card used.

Honored Contributor

This has happened to me with ShopHQ but I do have their cc.   What gets me mad is that I pay it off every month.   I did reach out to them about it and they said that is their practice.  I no longer use their VP and rarely shop with them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pecky wrote:

This has happened to me with ShopHQ but I do have their cc.   What gets me mad is that I pay it off every month.   I did reach out to them about it and they said that is their practice.  I no longer use their VP and rarely shop with them.

@Pecky  that is so strange. I didn't expect them to do the same with their CC.

Contributor

I’m sorry it’s happened to others too and yes they admitted this is their practice. I’m still really angry today. Will never use their Value Pay again and honestly they barely have much worth buying anyway.
Trusted Contributor

Wow I did not know this. Odd since the charge goes on a personal credit card so there is no risk to ShopHQ. The first charge is the authorization. This will definitely affect my decisions in the future.
Contributor

Exactly! To me that would be like Macy’s running a hard pull each time you charge a blouse. Makes no sense. The ValuePays are going on my personal
VISA that I’ve never ever not paid. I’m glad I realized they were doing this though so now I’ll simply stop buying from them.