Contributor
The window gets raised to accommodate this air conditioner. My question is: what about the security of that window.
I called QVC, and the customer service rep stated that the window could easily be raised from the outside.
Doesn't sound safe to me.
Frequent Contributor

I share your concerns, CoraVette.  You're right!  Someone could definitely open the window and join you for tea. . . or worse.  I'm thinking of getting this unit with the thought of only using it upstairs in a room with no roofline underneath for an intruder to stand on.  There will also be an 82 lb. pooch with a mighty loud BARK in the room to sound the alarm should someone get in at night.  When using in my little computer room downstairs, I'll be in there working while the unit is in use.  At night, the window will be closed and locked, as usual.  Your're thinking about security which is so very wise.  Sounds like you've been watching the news and are staying safe.  Take care and God Bless. : )

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Depending on what type of window you will use, you can fit a piece of wood or pipe to put in the window when it's raised.

Same concept as the type of pipe some people use to "lock" a sliding door.

If someone wants in your house bad enough, they will find a way.

@CoraVette

Trusted Contributor

Any air conditioner (even window units) create a security problem. Window units can just be pushed in (or pulled out).

What I do for my units (window and floor) in put an L-shaped bracket on the window case above the window once you get it in place.

The bracket prevents anyone from raising the window. With a floor unit, the gap for the hose is only 5" (ish). If they cannot push the window up, there is no way they can even get into that small of a space.

Yes, they keep saying that "you can move it around". I don't, once it is in the room I want it, the unit stays there. Maybe some people move them around, but it is not as easy as they show, in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

Haier has poor reviews online in general.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Haier portable a/c

[ Edited ]

@blackhole99 wrote:

Haier has poor reviews online in general.

I bought DeLonghi portable A/C a couple of years ago from HSN...it's 1400 and I love it.  It's in my window, high above the ground, and the screen is in my window.  If anyone tries to get in....they would need a ladder and the street light outside my home would deter them also....

It is in my bedroom and I only use it at night when I am sleeping and do not want the whole A/C on all over the house during this time....plus, it's a good "backup" in case my central air goes out.  My nephew does heating and air (on the sidelines) and he fixes any problems pronto....but this portable one is such a wonderful unit that puts my mind at ease and also saves me money when I only run it when I sleep.

I highly recommend HSN's DeLonghi portable A/C.

Honored Contributor

This has nothing to do with QVC selling such a unit. All portable (on wheels) a/c units are designed pretty much the same way, just as all window units are designed the same as other window units. People can see this before they buy it. If they don't like the situation and don't want to take any initiative to do their own safeguards on the product, they shouldn't buy. But it's not like if they buy it somewhere else, that one would be safe where QVC's isn't.

Some portable units come with kits in the box to secure windows, and they're also sold separately all over the place including Amazon. If I needed the a/c bad enough and I needed it to be portable, I'd deal with the "secure" aspect on my own - as a/c buyers have done for...always.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@gabstoomuch wrote:

Any air conditioner (even window units) create a security problem. Window units can just be pushed in (or pulled out). 

Not true. Not if it's installed correctly.

For ' thru the window' ACs, the outer sleeve is to be secured with screws to the window frame. Once in place, the AC slides into its sleeve from inside the room.

I've observed most people skip that and place AC in its sleeve in the window in one step. But the installation instructions included that extra step for security 25+ years ago.

@The suggestion posted by @software has been the standard security measure to prevent the lower half of a double hung windows from being raised for decades!

It works. It's cheap or free using odds 'n' ends around the house. It's extremely easy to do, and un-do. And it's effective immediately.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Haier portable a/c

[ Edited ]

Haier is an old Korean company that has been around for a long time.  Their speciality is refrigeration although they've ventured in to other areas of electronics.  I bought a Haier TV from QVC mostly because it has a white frame.  It's a mediocre TV with terrible audio but I've used it heavily 6 years now with no problems.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Haier AC unit though. 

There are many gadgets available to prevent windows from being raised, not to mention a broom handle. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@CoraVette wrote:
The window gets raised to accommodate this air conditioner. My question is: what about the security of that window.
I called QVC, and the customer service rep stated that the window could easily be raised from the outside.
Doesn't sound safe to me.

@CoraVette, Window locks used specifically to secure windows accommodating AC units can be purchased online or at places like Home Depot or Lowes.  Simple to install and the window can't be opened.  It's also imperative to screw the AC unit panels into the window so that it can't be pushed in.