Honored Contributor

I had never heard of this company before.  I woke up last night and it was on HSN.  Watched a minute or two and was dumbfounded at the prices, especially the scarves.  They are just rectangular shaped.  Looks like it was just cut off a bolt of cloth, hemmed and nothing more.  The matching bags are very expensive too.

I dont understand paying that kind of money for a scarf and bag.  Guess I am just cheap!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie- I don’t necessarily think fashion has a price. Whether something is costly or very inexpensive, if it flatters you and reflects your personal taste, great!

I happened to see some really lovely very Boho scarves last night at my local ACME!

Should I have passed them up because of a LOW price?

Definitely not in MY world.

You don’t sound “cheap”to me at all!

Respected Contributor

I too wonder why scarves cost so much.  This line is pricey.  Money is the driving factor I guess.  Many times these designers start in a job for another company and at some point must decide they are better off going off on their own and eventually think they deserve to price their items so high.  And I guess if people are buying it, then it will stay like that. 

Respected Contributor

All of the things that Kim brings from Clever Carriage are handmade and they don't do a lot of each item. They are also made in Italy and other places around the world. I believe that is why the price is high. I think some of the stuff is gorgeous but yes it is pricey and I have not bought anything. I really enjoy watching though. I think if you fell in love with a piece and wanted it then that would be a special piece that you would keep for ever.

Honored Contributor

Re: HSN's Clever Carriage.

[ Edited ]

You also have to take into account the materials used in the products, some scarves are made of fine Cashmire, silks, etc.  Some designers actually hire known artists to do the artwork on their products like Louis Vuitton and Takashi Murkami.  So often the item isn't just a scarf or a purse but more like a work of art. I'm not justifying the prices at all but if you love it and have the money and want it..... go for it....  Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@Kitlynn wrote:

All of the things that Kim brings from Clever Carriage are handmade and they don't do a lot of each item. They are also made in Italy and other places around the world. I believe that is why the price is high. I think some of the stuff is gorgeous but yes it is pricey and I have not bought anything. I really enjoy watching though. I think if you fell in love with a piece and wanted it then that would be a special piece that you would keep for ever.

THIS. If you buy a scarf or sweater at Kohl's, it's not a handmade item. It's all hand embroidered, not done by a machine.

This is why I knit scarvevs for myself and don't sell them - people see the cheap prices of machine knit items that cost less than the yarn I bought to knit a scarf and they aren't going to pay me what my time is worth.

Honored Contributor

Yes, the purses are hand-made. But are they paying these people in these poor little villages fair wages, for the high prices they charge?

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

Yes, the purses are hand-made. But are they paying these people in these poor little villages fair wages, for the high prices they charge?

I can tell you that Louis Vuitton makes their own products from their propriatary PVC blend to their canvas.  No one has a license to sell LV products.  Only on once for a 20 year period did LV allow another company (French Luggage Company) to make and sell their items for a 20 year period and LV regreted it and never allowed it again. 

Only their employees make their products, as well as their own employees sell their products.  They are LV employees and do not send their items to third world factories.  Even their counter space at high end Dept stores are leased by LV and manned only by their employees,   

I know there are tons of fakes out there but honestly if you know what to look for, they are somewhat easy to spot... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Occasional Contributor

This is now August 2018 is clever carriage still around?

Honored Contributor

@Bubblyfoam wrote:

This is now August 2018 is clever carriage still around?

yes, their line is on HSN.

they make beautiful items.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein