Super Contributor

HSN now charges shipping like QVC

Many of the items I bought regularly on HSN because of their good prices and free shipping, have now increased in price and have added shipping fees. This must be due to the two companies merging. I’m not sure why they even keep separate names and channels.

Honored Contributor

Re: HSN now charges shipping like QVC

@homedecoratorI think it's like any other conglomerant that owns multiple outlets -  different people run them and although they may have the same policies, fees, etc., they can also be different.  One example in my life -  I do check out Chico's once in a while, but I virtually never check out Black and White or Soma.  I believe they're all still under one umbrella, but they're quite different.

As for why HSN is charging shipping differently, who knows?   It could be ownership, it could be because postage overall is increasing, maybe because there's a shortage of truck drivers driving up trucking costs even as gasoline prices go up.  Maybe as HSN grows, they are facing bigger costs for staff or production -  I know one of the reasons I've favored QVC over the years was the products here pleased me more, but I also have never been all that pleased with HSN's presentations. 

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecorator wrote:

Many of the items I bought regularly on HSN because of their good prices and free shipping, have now increased in price and have added shipping fees. This must be due to the two companies merging. I’m not sure why they even keep separate names and channels.

To keep a corner on the market.

Honored Contributor

That's one reason I buy as much as I can on other websites, especially Amazon Prime....it's free for me....ALL FREAKING FREE!

My daughter was just talking this morning about QVC owning HSN.  I told her I'd read here that they own SOME of HSN but not all of HSN.  

I don't really care.  I've gotten to the point where at my age (71) I don't need any more clothes (except I've gained weight) and I have enough 'stuff'.

Good grief!  I buy cases of heavy cat food, etc, dehumidifiers, etc. Can you imagine the cost if I had to pay for shipping?  

I'm tired of being taken advantage of.  I feel like that's what some of these companies do to the consumer.  

It's unbelievable when you know it doesn't cost $3 each to 'handle and ship' a pair of pants, a necklace, etc when they are the same except a different color.  Then when they come to me they are (many times now) all in ONE BIG BOX that QVC and HSN gets way, way discounts on mailing them out.

Who pays for their discount?  Well, the consumer, of course.

But the consumer pays for everything!  Next time you get your cell phone bill, look at all of the fees YOU, the consumer pays for.  The company pays for NONE of them.  They are allowed to pass them on to the consumer.

That's another 'talk' my daughter and I just had.  About lobbyists in the DC area.  You people in other states have no idea what a HUGE business being a lobbyist is!  I know people who are lobbyists, they make lots and lots of money and they stay parked up "on the hill" in Washington, DC.

Every time I go to the Drs there are 'sales people' with their bags waiting to get in to see the Drs and promote their drugs.....Do you think that's a different subject?  You couldn't be more wrong!  

It all dribbles down (no pours down) to the consumer....Oh!  Wait!  That would be you and me.

OK, I'll go sit down now...just giving my two cents since this is one of the few subjects you can do that to right now, these days!

Honored Contributor

@homedecorator.   You'll find a lot of companies charging sales tax that didn't in the past.  It's due to a recent Supreme Court decision.

@Annabellethecat66   QVC and HSN are owned by the Qurate Retail Group, along with Zulily and several other stores.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I don't believe that QVC owns HSN.

Regular Contributor

They do.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I noticed that during Andrew's visit. I bought from Andrew's site instead of HSN because he does not charge tax. I'm still buying where I get the best deal. I did use the 20% off coupon on HSN & had to pay tax but I still saved $10.

Amazon is not free shipping even if you have a Prime Account. Some of that shipping is already included in each item you purchase. Just search what you are buying. It always costs less if it's not Prime. Yes you would have to pay shipping on that if it's not over the Amazon minimum to get free shipping. Just buy the minimum to get free shipping & don't pay the Prime fee. You won't get your stuff in 2 days but I can wait if I'm saving money.

This is what it says on HSN's site regarding the sales tax.

Tax Information 

HSN collects sales tax as required under federal and state law. 

The sales tax amount displayed online is an estimate. The actual sales tax will be calculated when your order is completed and displayed on your order summary and packing slip. 

Shipping and handling charges may be subject to sales tax. 

The passage of the Internet Tax Freedom Act and similar state statutes has no effect on HSN’s obligation to collect sales and use tax. The Internet Tax Freedom Act applies only to monthly charges for internet access provided through telecommunication services. 

If applicable, the following taxes have been included in your total tax amount:

• Prepaid wireless emergency 911 charge on your prepaid wireless purchase (applicable in various states)
    •Police and fire protection fee on your prepaid wireless purchase (State of Wisconsin only)
    •Electronic Waste Recycling Fee (State of California only)*

Several states now require fees to be collected from prepaid wireless subscribers for their statewide emergency telephone number 911 systems for wireless customers. For more information on these taxes, please contact the tax department in your state. 

*California Electronic Waste Recycling Fee 

• The California Electronic Waste Recycling Fee law imposes a fee on the purchase certain video display devices. The law requires HSN to collect and remit this fee to the State of California to help pay for the safe recycling of video display devices which contain hazardous materials.
    •The fee varies depending on the size of the video screen on electronic devices. The fees are as follows: 
    (Screen size measured diagonally) 

• Screens more than 4 inches and less than 15 inches - $5.00
    •Screens 15 inches or more and less than 35 inches - $6.00
    •Screens 35 inches or more - $7.00

Items shipped to Alabama 

The simplified sellers use tax has been collected and remitted on the purchaser's behalf. 

• For purchases made on hsn.com or one of our mobile apps, our simplified sellers use tax account is R009321448
    •For all other purchases, our simplified sellers use tax account is R009252937

Respected Contributor

I purchase all my Vitamins from Andrew on HSN.  The tax shows up when you start your check out, but mine always comes back off when the order completes.  Now I have always gotten charged tax  on everything else, but never Vitamins shipped to my state.  I'll watch for this the next time I need to reorder.  Thanks for the update.

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

@homedecorator- I checked on the Lancome products I've always ordered from HSN (for the past 5+ years) and they have added a $3.00 shipping fee.  I've never had to pay shipping before for Lancome.