Highlighted
Respected Contributor

HSN Mr Christmas & VPH sell the same products??

[ Edited ]

A fellow poster talked about an HSN 20% discount today including an Around the Tree Collar.  HSN has a Mr. Christmas collar identical to Valerie Parr Hill's on QVC with some color variation and also offer a gingerbread one.  It is $62.95 on HSN, Valerie's on QVC is $48.90..

Wonder if there are other "exclusive" VPH items on HSN but under a different name?  

There are also 2 reviews on the HSN version, one is complaining that it is a paper product, not sure if that was ever mentioned on air.

Respected Contributor

Re: HSN Mr Christmas & VPH sell the same products??

I wouldn’t be surprised. I have a great wind spinner identical to a Plow and Hearth spinner that I bought from HSN under the Wind and Weather brand. In this case it was much less expensive and came in better color choices. 

Contributor

I noticed that too!  I know that Wind & Weather on HSN are Plow & Hearth products, but I was also surprised to see VPH items under the Mr. Christmas name. I didn't know those two companies were associated with one another, or that they shared the same products in any way.  I do often see VPH products on HSN under the Winter Lane name as well.

I saw a couple VPH candle holders shaped like a santa, snowman and angel on a catalog site for $9.99 then they went up to 14.99....but still are way cheaper than what VPH sells them for on QVC. Hers are in the 34.99 price range on QVC.  I know this because I got two at the 9.99 price from the catalog site before they went up in price, and then they showed up as 'exclusive' on QVC from VPH.  Hmmm.....  I guess she exclusively brings them to QVC but the company that makes them does not sell them exclusively to anyone. haha 

Often times the same products on both HSN and QVC can be very different in price.  I know the set of the two blow mold candles were on HSN long before they were on QVC as the TSV because I almost bought them.  The price was (and still is) much more than what the TSV is for today.  When I checked yesterday, HSN only had the gold color left, but a while back they had all the colors in sets of two.

Just today I saw a gmone christmas yard stake in a large craft/hobby store for 24.99, but that same catalog site has the exact same product for 14.99.

It's getting harder and harder for us shoppers to stay one step ahead of the retailers! haha 

Honored Contributor

VPH does not design or commission the items she brings to QVC.

She views and orders Them from the Chinese warehouse that manufactures them.  Her items are available from the warehouse to any retailer who wants them.

You can probably find the exact same items elsewhere for more or less money.  Nothing is exclusive from her line.

Occasional Contributor

Please explain how you know this to be true.
Occasional Contributor

Honored Contributor

@Whisperonly wrote:
Please explain how you know this to be true.

It's pretty obvious when multiple retailers show up with the exact same merchandise, isn't it?  It's not just Christmas stuff, I've seen the same thing with jewelry.

I remember when Lisa Robertson decided to get into Christmas items while she was still at QVC, she described Valerie taking her to a distributor's warehouse and helping her select items. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

VPH does not design or commission the items she brings to QVC.

She views and orders Them from the Chinese warehouse that manufactures them.  Her items are available from the warehouse to any retailer who wants them.

You can probably find the exact same items elsewhere for more or less money.  Nothing is exclusive from her line.

I saw a VPH distressed mirrored tray that I had to have a few years ago.  It was a bit pricey here on the Q so I did a bit of reaserch and found the exact same thing on another site (same product photo) for $20.00 less and free shipping.  Her name was not attached to this tray on the other site.

I was surprised since I thought they were "her" products.  She gives one the impression that either she or her team designs the items that she brings to QVC.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to notice that Pier 1 and VPH had some overlap.
I don't even bother to look at Pier 1 now they're a completely different store but maybe they still retain a few of the same suppliers.  
Lots of stores offer those same products, even Amazon.

I think VPH is able to negotiate changes on a few items and have a few things specially made because she's a big customer so she will have formed business relationships but essentially she's just a buyer.
She probably goes to trade shows, goes to trade warehouses for viewings, and places orders for things that fit her brand, just like everyone does, including Mr Christmas. Sometimes they'll both order the same products.

Respected Contributor

Im disgusted with all the Chinese goods Valerie is bringing us. Years ago her wreaths were made in New Jersey and she had soy candles from Arkansas. She struck a deal with the Chinese about 10 years ago and got greedy. I was done with imported Chinese junk 4 years ago. Their implication with the Virus has only intensified my checking labels to make sure I avoid Chinese goods.