Trusted Contributor

Re: HSN Coin Collector. Good deals?

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@NorthernLights wrote:

Have you also thought about investing in dolls or swords? If you could find a time machine to the television shopping past, you might find that you wouldn't ask the question that you're asking now.

@NorthernLights. LOL.  She asks a lot of questions anytime she participates.  Too bad nobody has answers; if we did we'd all be rich.

@Kachina624 wrote:

@NorthernLights wrote:

Have you also thought about investing in dolls or swords? If you could find a time machine to the television shopping past, you might find that you wouldn't ask the question that you're asking now.

@NorthernLights. LOL.  She asks a lot of questions anytime she participates.  Too bad nobody has answers; if we did we'd all be rich.

So, I decided to instead add to my position in the stock market.  

“Die a lonely miserable death.  You deserve that.”

Honored Contributor

I would pass; excellent reasons have been stated.

My dad was a coin collector but not on purpose so the coins he collected were ones that interested him or he received when older family members died. The silver or gold content is what makes them valuable today as well as for historical reasons.

True story:

I went to high school in Germany. At the time, the Berlin Wall was till up. When traveling to East Germany, you had to use their currency; they did not recognize West Germany's. When leaving East Germany, you were REQUIRED to turn in ALL your East German money. No, you did NOT get any money back and no, I was NOT going to argue with the guards (who would be stupid enough to?!). Over the few years I was there plus college, I would always give my excess money to a child or mom with children before heading to the checkpoint.

My last time there (before heading back to the states), I did the usual (gave the money away) and headed out. No biggie. Months later, back in the states, I was cleaning out the bag and discovered loose coins....I discovered a few here and there in clothes or other bags. Not much, but 1 coin would be enough to have you held back so I count myself VERY lucky.

About 10 years ago, I told this story at a dinner at my in-laws and one of the individuals there is a historian and works at a college. Long story short, I was offered a very nice sum of money for those coins as they are not common (for obvious reasons). In this case, the coins DID pay out as being a valuable item to "collect" even though that was not my intent.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for all the sensible responses.  

Instead, I made an additional investment in the stock market.

Esteemed Contributor

@EatWell, NO!  Do not invest in coins, dolls, or anything presented on television.  If you feel the need, get yourself a certified broker with a recognized company and invest in stocks/bonds.  As has been stated, collectibles are only worth what someone is willing to pay.  It is always extremely iffy.  

Until you have a real plan with a real professional, keep your money in the bank.  You could invest in a small CD so that at least you get a return.  You need to look for the best rates before doing anything.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@insomniac2 wrote:

Too many collectables wind up being almost worthless. They're only worth what somone else would pay for them.

You might want to consider investing in a cause--educational scholarships, for example: "the gift that keeps on giving."

@insomniac2

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

FWIW, I make sizable donations throughout the year to several non profit organizations.

Valued Contributor

Honestly, I would not invest in collectibles if I were looking for a return on my money.  I have seen too many people purchase thousands of dollars of "collectibles" to now be worth pennies on the dollar.  If you enjoy an item buy it if you want a return invest your funds wisely.  There are many investing alternatives with even small amounts such as mutual funds, stocks, cds, etc. Know what you are looking to do and research and educate yourself on the best options.

Trusted Contributor

@kitty60

@kitty60 wrote:

Honestly, I would not invest in collectibles if I were looking for a return on my money.  I have seen too many people purchase thousands of dollars of "collectibles" to now be worth pennies on the dollar.  If you enjoy an item buy it if you want a return invest your funds wisely.  There are many investing alternatives with even small amounts such as mutual funds, stocks, cds, etc. Know what you are looking to do and research and educate yourself on the best options.

@kitty60

Thank you for your reply. Makes sense.

i decided to add the funds to my positions in the stock market.

Trusted Contributor

@EatWell wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@NorthernLights wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@NorthernLights wrote:

So, I decided to instead add to my position in the stock market.  

I think you should take your “$20,000” and invest in some beanie babies instead. More bang for your buck.

“Die a lonely miserable death.  You deserve that.”

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

As a numismatist, RUN away from HSN and its prices. I usually tune in for the 2 one hour shows and end up having my wife ask why I do it when all I end up doing is laughing and yelling. The prices are crazy and the seller constantly pushes ANACS when there are two other, better grading services. Stick with coins or even medals from places like the United States mint or other reputable mints. Silver, gold, etc.., have intrinsic value.