Respected Contributor

Re: HSN Coin Collector. Good deals?

I have another comment: if the OP has thousands of dollars in an account not earning interest, wouldn't it make sense to switch the money somewhere else that would let interest accrue?

Trusted Contributor

I know this is the first place I’d come for financial advice 

Honored Contributor

Oh the subject of collectibles, I have a huge box of stamps, sheets and plate blocks, I wish I could unload.  I have no idea how to go about it.

Valued Contributor

My Mother collected stamps, mostly unused stamps. She had albums and boxes of them. A guy from a nearby town ran an ad in the paper that he was interested in buying whole collections. I called him and finally drove to where he lived. There were thousands of dollars in unused stamps, and I got $350.00 for the whole thing. I just got tired of moving those boxes from one storage spot in the house to another. His family can mail things out for my years using combinations of stamps to get to the current rate. Another collectible that is interesting to look at, but not worth anything. My Mother really enjoyed spending evenings working on her collection. Stamps from all over the world and of course the US, but in the end they had no value to a buyer. The guy I sold to had a garage full of boxes of stampe. He couldn't get a car in there. What his family will do with all that stuff, I haven't a clue. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@insomniac2 wrote:

I have another comment: if the OP has thousands of dollars in an account not earning interest, wouldn't it make sense to switch the money somewhere else that would let interest accrue?

@insomniac2

I added to my positions in the stock market.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Phantom41 wrote:

@Phantom41

Like the cd’s and books pitched by Suse Orman on QVC?   Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

@EatWell wrote:

@Phantom41 wrote:

@Phantom41

Like the cd’s and books pitched by Suse Orman on QVC?   Smiley Very Happy

Pretty much...

Regular Contributor

I want to add something to this conversation showing the over-priced wares being sold. Back yonder in 2016 the United States Mint released a few gold coins based on earlier silver coins. This time the coins were minted in gold. One of these coins is a standing liberty quarter. HSN sells a SP70 quarter for five cents shy of one grand. The popular online auction site has these coins (same grade but better grading company) for half price. Essentially you could purchase two SP70 quarters for the price of one being sold at HSN and of course, the coin "expert" will act as if this is the deal of the century. Think very hard before purchasing any coin from that place.