Trusted Contributor

HSN Coin Collector. Good deals?

[ Edited ]

I want to start collecting coins for appreciation.  I have 20K in a bank account not earning any interest, and I want to invest the money in coins.

i saw Coca Cola,  and Mickey  + Minnie Ticket to My Heart coins.  Will they be collectibale and appreciate in value?  They seem unique in design.

Also, how about the coin sets that HSN regularly sell?  Are they good value, collectible, and guaranteed to appreciate?   Are they good deals?

What coin sets do you recommend I begin to invest in?   Gold,  Silver , or Palladium coins?

BTW, why  QVC do not sell coins?

Valued Contributor

Re: HSN Coin Collector. Good deals?

Have you also thought about investing in dolls or swords? If you could find a time machine to the television shopping past, you might find that you wouldn't ask the question that you're asking now.

Respected Contributor

Too many collectables wind up being almost worthless. They're only worth what somone else would pay for them.

You might want to consider investing in a cause--educational scholarships, for example: "the gift that keeps on giving."

Honored Contributor

@NorthernLights wrote:

Have you also thought about investing in dolls or swords? If you could find a time machine to the television shopping past, you might find that you wouldn't ask the question that you're asking now.

@NorthernLights. LOL.  She asks a lot of questions anytime she participates.  Too bad nobody has answers; if we did we'd all be rich.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

While coins have nice designs and some are nice to look at, they don't usually go up in value. If you buy coin sets from the US Mint, and then watch the price they usually go down in value. I have a set from the 1980's that I paid the Mint about $10.00 for and they are now worth only about $2.00 and that is IF you can find someone that wants to buy them. Do some homework on coins before you buy. If you want to invest, a Money Market Fund or something at your bank is probably going to pay better. Coins, stamps, toys all used to be collectible. But now they have no real value unless you can locate a person that wants them. Coins will always have their face value, but you don't pay face value for the collectible coins from a private seller, a store or the US Mint. Once in awhile there will be one coin that has a higher price because of something different with it, but it usually is very hard to find. It's not the usual coin that is up for sale. The value of collectible coins probably won't go up during your lifetime. No the coins you see on TV aren't a good deal. They are selling them to make a profit, and usually a good profit. Get a coin value magazine and check the prices.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have an eclectic collection of US and foreign coins.  I don't expect them to increase in value.  Since they are gold or silver, they'll have the value of the metal.  I bought them ONLY because they were interesting to me.  I DO NOT recommend ANY investment to anyone.

When I do purchase coins, I try to do it through the country's minting system(US Mint, Australian Mint, British Mint, etc).  I only purchase coins through a dealer when that's not possible.

Esteemed Contributor

The younger generation doesn't seem interested in collectibles...so I doubt any cute coins would increase in value...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@EatWell ... My DH collects coins.  It remains to be seen whether it is a good investment. But he often tells me that he will not buy any coins from HSN.   They are all over-priced.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

People paid a fortune for Beanie Babies and collected them for their future value....

and they tanked big time.  Of course there was no intrinsic value.

However, I've bought and sold antiques for years and will ride a cycle of value pertaining to a popular type of antique (like Eastlake or Mission) and when the popularity of the style wears off with the public, the value slumps.  

Yes the precious metals in coins are valuable, but the coins themselves are a personal value (for those loving coins)... but remember that the value of the precioius metals go up and down much like the stock market and if you buy them for long term security, you never know what the metals will be worth in 20 years.  Although fun, speculation can be a cr@pshoot.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

"Colorized" coins are junk.

BEFORE you invest any money, especially on ANY TeeVee coins, use the internet to find coin collector sites ...

NO serious collector of coins would be caught dead with colorized coins.

Try:

Coin Community Forum

Coin News Net

US Mint official site

Coin Talk Forum.

See what they say about colorized coins and especially Mike M.

Stay with REAL gold or silver coins, not gimmicks if you want appreciation, and even then, it's iffy.

Buy what you LIKE, but understand you could buy buttons that will be more valuable than ANY colorized or gimmick coin.,,

Hope this helps. On the sites I've listed are stories of people who inherited gimmick coins, took them to a coin dealer to sell, and were stunned when they found out they were worth next to nothing.