Trusted Contributor

Re: HOSTS TALKING NON STOP ABOUT THEIR FAMILIES

[ Edited ]

I am not one of the "they" as the OP claims to represent.

For me, it is nice to hear that hosts are real people with real families off air.

Just filling in time on air with small talk does not bother me.  Not worth complaining about,  For me,  Just how much can a host say, day after day, pitching the same product over and over on tv?  It has got to be boring.

And stories gives insight and humanizes that they are normal people, and not miserable, sour, job hating hosts.  😁. JMO.

~Life is short. Don't sweat the small stuff. Enjoy everyday as if it is your last day on earth. You could die tomorrow.~

Honored Contributor

I don't mind hosts mentioning their families, as long as they don't do it constantly! In fact I enjoy hearing little tidbits here and there. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

I don't mind hosts mentioning their families, as long as they don't do it constantly! In fact I enjoy hearing little tidbits here and there. Smiley Happy

@beach-mom  - Tidbits are fine, but a few hosts take it to the extreme.  As another poster stated, Leah doesn't do this and most people enjoy Leah's shows.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mspatmac wrote:

I think they spend entirely to long on most products so hosts use stories as fillers.  I mean really how long does it take to tell us what poo-pourri is for and the scents it comes in. More products that air, more potential sales. A few personal comments now and then is fine but It's not a talk show 

I too think they spend entirely too long on each product.  Back in the day they used to have shows-- I think they called them Quick Takes, or something like that-- where each presentation was only about five minutes.  The purpose was to get through a lot of merchandise fast.  I believe they were a form of clearance shows.

These days the website is their dumping ground so they don't do those shows anymore.  But truly, five minutes is enough for most products; not just clearance and low inventory pieces.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If they reduced the amount of time spent on a product and added several more to the lineup it would get rid of the nonsense filler and increase the variety.

A few rambles into their personal lives does help establish a connection with a host, which is needed in this selling format, but it's overboard with too many hosts. Restraint and common sense are needed when sharing personal information. David comes across as very personable without disclosing intimate details of his life with every product presented. MBR also has the knack of sharing enough to seem real without going into constant story mode. It can be done.

Respected Contributor

@Tadaki I saw the jewelry presentation you referenced. It was so over the top I had to turn the channel. "Get over yourself" was my reaction.

Esteemed Contributor

I understand as one other poster  pointed out  that some personal stories   abt a specific product  when it is being presented   may be acceptable, however  often now  these personal stories have no relevance to the product they are selling .  If the shows are to long than how abt  show casing  some of the products they offer online that they usually don't show case. They are constantly showing the same products over and over agin with long drawn out shows where  very little essential info is being provided abt the item.  Yea we can go online but  sometimes that is not  convenient or as where I live the internet is down.

Or since QVC is on 3  channels  maybe have 1-2  follow a stricter format and one can be the chatter chatter personal info channel for the Hosts.

Honored Contributor

I don't mind the cute stories about their families! Like another poster said how much can you say about one product when they have 10 minutes to talk about it? What I do mind however if pertinent info isn't given because of personal chatter. There is one host that does talk about her family more than anyone else, I think, but I don't watch too many of her shows anyways.....

I think if all they did was talk about the product and nothing else all the time, it would get rather boring and stale......But keep the personal talk to a minimum after you have given all the pertinent info~!

I dont mind some banter or chit chat as long as the item is adequately presented.  I recently saw a blouse I wanted to order but the host barely described it or the fit.  Once I saw Mary Beth present the same blouse, I ordered it.  She described the colors in detail, the fit, sizing, different ways to wear it, etc.  Much bettter presentation!  She knows how to connect with customers while selling the product.  

Respected Contributor

@ckpayton

I agree with you about Mary Beth. She is one of the few professionals left at QVC. I am grateful to see her continue to follow the old standards when I see her presentations.