Occasional Contributor

Is it my imagination or has the clothing prices jumped up a LOT in the past year? Especially Belle and Graver? I had backed off from ordering since money was tighter but was really surprised in the price jumps.

Trusted Contributor

Re: HIGHER PRICES ON CLOTHING?

@mamalinda  I don't think it's your imagination. I haven't done a lot of shopping during this pandemic. But when I do get out, I notice it everywhere. Macy's, Kohls, Loft. So it's not just the Q. I think it's a combination of a lot of things. So many factories and manufacturers have cut their staff and production this past year. Add to that the tariffs that were imposed on imported goods by the previous administration. I have just decided that I'm going to be more particular about what I buy. I love clothes and shoes, but since I retired, I honestly don't need that much. So when I buy now it will be because I really need it or really love it. Let's see how this goes. LOL❤️ 

Honored Contributor

Increased transportation and manufacturing costs plus tariffs on Chinese-made good.  Not just QVC but all retailers.  Did anyone expect prices on anything would go down?  We'll all pay for this pandemic. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Higher fuel costs means higher transportation costs which are alwyas passed to the consumer.

You can't print trillions and not have it affect prices.

Respected Contributor

Not just clothes, but jewelry is insanely overpriced, and food packages cost the same but sometimes have half the amount.

I try to wait for sales as there is not much I really need...

Only the fast food industry seems to keep prices more or less the same these past few years--which is why cars line up in caravans.  Unfortunately fast food is not that healthy!

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Prices for some manufacturers have gone out of control. I don't know where Graver and Gravel fashions come from. I don't buy from them because I don't like what they have to offer. The Joan Rivers line is another that is sky high. I do know that everything does not come from China. I have items from China that are reasonably priced. There are many other countries that manufacture clothing. Personally, I think there is some greediness going on.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Expect prices to go higher.  Polyester, the favorite fabric of retailers, is made from petroleum, crude oil,  and with oil prices going up, we won't see clothing prices stabilizing for some time.

I just read oil sources in this country have been cut around 22% just when more oil will be needed for transportation and other things for the country coming out of Covid-19.  

Also higher taxes placed on companies will be reflected in higher prices to consumers.  

Esteemed Contributor

@mamalinda wrote:

Is it my imagination or has the clothing prices jumped up a LOT in the past year? Especially Belle and Graver? I had backed off from ordering since money was tighter but was really surprised in the price jumps.

I definitely noticed it. Is it due to the pandemic? We don't really know. But my Q bill is high and I have to cut way back. 

Valued Contributor

They go up from one day to the next...hard to keep up with price changes.  Food is getting out of sight.  12 Rastelli round hot dogs for almost $50.00!  I will be buying much less...plus the freezer is full!

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Expect prices to go higher.  Polyester, the favorite fabric of retailers, is made from petroleum, crude oil,  and with oil prices going up, we won't see clothing prices stabilizing for some time.

I just read oil sources in this country have been cut around 22% just when more oil will be needed for transportation and other things for the country coming out of Covid-19.  

Also higher taxes placed on companies will be reflected in higher prices to consumers.  

@Foxxee    What do you mean "oil sources have been cut"?  We have large oil resources in the US that have never even been tapped.  They made a huge oil discovery in the Permian Basin of Texas less than 5 years ago.  There has been little drilling due to low oil prices.  It will resume now that they're increasing. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment