Honored Contributor

Re: HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY, ALL THE PRESIDENT'S SHOPPERS, AND NOT ANOTHER RERUN!

On 2/15/2015 stevieb said:
On 2/15/2015 katiescarlett said:

I will say JCP has some washable rugs that I like; since I have so many dogs Smile, I like to be able to throw the rugs in the wash; I tried to have a piece of bound=edged carpet for a rug, but just could not keep it clean, even with a good carpet shampooer. But last time I checked, like you say, the prices were a bit too steep for me to replace some.

Way steep! I know... I've been looking for braided rugs... A bit old fashioned, perhaps, but I happen to love them, and even though I have perfectly fine larger rugs in the living and dining areas, and really need to prioritize replacing the wall to wall in the bedrooms, I just wanted to look at braideds for the main living areas as a possibility... As noted, the ones I have are fine and are beautiful, but I could really use larger rugs... Anyway, just a few years back I was looking at them on the JCP website and nicer wool braideds were marginally affordable... But, whoa Nelly, when I look at them now, they appear to have gone up by several hundred dollars, and, like I said, they never seem to have sales anymore, even though I thought that was one of the things new management intended to reinstitute...

And, like I said, any way you slice it, I can't believe they can't find room in their stores, few though they are anymore, for a rug section... I mean really, that's the kind of thing you want to see before you order. No one wants to get a huge rug home only to find the colors don't work... Honestly, no wonder they're always struggling to stay afloat...

Hey Stevie......I have a small braided rug in my kitchen it kinda goes with my french country theme and I was just looking at it thinking it is getting a bit ragged (pardon the pun---{#emotions_dlg.laugh}).....and I bemoan the demise of Terry's Village (supposedly the owner decided to retire)...but believe it or not they sold good quality small rugs at very very affordable prices!!!! So I was looking for another source too.....I don't know the size you want in a braided rug, but I got a catalog for Sturbridge Yankee Workshop that sometimes has some cute decor items....some are pricey, but they do have good sales.....and they have a large variety of braided rugs....I don't know the size and price range you want or need but they might be an option for you---

http://www.sturbridgeyankee.com/rugs/braided-rugs.html

Oh yes area rugs are pricey and hard to find be prepared to spend a couple of hundred on large rugs .... I got the one in my living room and in my dining room from the Home Decorator's catalog.....I love the quality and at that point, I just wanted something that would go with my home decor and not too busy, nor too contemporary so I don't even remember what I paid....but I guess they were worth it....I tried locally and searched a good while...

Sadly the JCP store nearest me is a shadow of it's former self.....they still have a nice window treatment department but their home goods, kitchen items, and comforters and bedspreads are practically NON-EXISTENT! Now the store in the "gucci mall" may be better---how JCP got a lease in that place I don't know---they kicked Walgreens out....not classy enough....but some how JCP doesn't fit in with Nordstrams and Saks.....I don't like that mall!

Yep DS may have to bite the bullet and go custom......Oh yes, she did actually find a bag...HALLELUAH! and of all places it was from JCP!!! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}{#emotions_dlg.laugh} They do have some decent bags. This was one of the few leather ones and it was on sale! It's taupe with a couple of florals on the side, and light brown handles and trim....it is cute....

I was flipping channels and out of curiosity-- tuned in to QVC--Carolyn Pollack is on with Ant....and the majority is I bet you will never guess....{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}.....and THE MINE IS STILL CLOSED!!!!.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

On 2/15/2015 CalmInTheHeart said:

Did you happen to check out Evine this weekend? That's the new name of ShopHQ. I posted on their fb site that I thought their big weekend introducing the new name and some vendors was absolutely horrible. It almost...almost....made Q's dyson/mattress/dell rotation seem special. (if you can even imagine that)

Hi CALMIN---I don't have Evine, but from what I've read it's mixed reviews... ....and gee from what you've said....that bad huh......{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}!!!! I know I said it before, but these Shopping Channels have the added advantage of television over other online retailers, but instead of utilizing it properly to get customers interested in their products and programming, it seems it is more of a DISadvantage and driving customers AWAY!!!!{#emotions_dlg.glare} Does anyone in the TV Shopping Channel Industry have any common sense or savvy....I think not.....{#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

<br class="quote_author" />

I like barrel racing, too, and pole bending. You rarely see boys doing those competitions, and I don't see how those girls don't fall off! When they go around those barrels, the horses are practically falling over! Can't go wrong with a good little American Quarter Horse! My Friesian/Saddlebred cross almost dumped me yesterday at my lesson. I was getting on and he decided, no way, backed up and luckily I managed to get my left foot out of the stirrup before he took off. Fell on my most padded part, my tush. He was running around the arena and it took three of us to catch him. I don't know what bee got in his bonnet yesterday, he even freaked when I walked up to him with the brush for his mane! He is usually my steady guy. My instructor said it correctly, he was being a horse.

I need size 12, so I might gamble and get the shoes. It is not often I see cute shoes in my size, and with a snaffle bit on top!

So, I flipped back and forth to ITKWD, and I swear they spent a half hour on IMTAB and a half hour on the KitchenAid (and every time he was showing the colors)! Sheesh! They are getting as bad as HSN. No wonder he needed a 5 hour show today!

Hey KS---Those girls that do the barrel racing are amazing. Well I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt when your guy got frisky. -It must be something in the air with the animals....yesterday my Figgy had "an attitude" too ....and when I made her come in from the patio because I was going somewhere, Figgy cuffed me and hissed......and last night Puddin had the "cat crazies" late last night and was racing all around the house and throwing a catnip toy up in the air....{#emotions_dlg.w00t} I guess sometimes they want to behave.... well like....animals....{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Enjoy your shoe purchase ... Aerosole is a good brand and that equestrian touch was cute....

I was flipping through the channels, and unfortunately caught a couple minutes of ITKWD re-assuring all the "foodies" and "homecooks" that his show was not going away, just got preempted---from what he said, it sounded like his fans thought it was the end of the world not hearing him repeat all those colors, or giving updates on what is almost sold out...OH BROTHER!!!! I couldn't change the channel fast enough! ...OY!!!! {#emotions_dlg.scared} He is becoming more and more of a characterture of his former self......{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Honored Contributor

On 2/15/2015 GinaV24 said:

another funny column that is so true! I went to the gym, did my grocery shopping and housework, oh yeah and I watched tv shows I had recorded and old movies. What I didn't do was watch QVC. Why? well for the all reasons that Spurt mentioned in her OP -- because there is nothing I want to see.

I watched some mine finds with jay king on HSN but didn't buy anything, the new evine live has me somewhat confused as far as their programming so I can't say I'm thrilled with them and I can only stand jtv for brief periods of time.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with my mantel for early spring -- I went to Pier 1 yesterday and boy were the things in the store lots of fun. Of course I have to pick and choose because the kitty cats think that anything with the "grassy" outside is for them!

Hi GinaV---well it sounds like you enjoyed a very productive NON-Q Day!!!!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I think QVC's programming has reached the PATHETIC stage! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

The Pier 1 store not far from me always has some wonderful decor and accessory pieces!!!! And it certainly is a fun place to shop and I enjoy browsing their unique selection....I bet you had a great time shopping and found something nice to bring in the spring season to your mantel. And I can relate to your kitties liking anything outdoorsy ...... My figgy likes to jump on the coffee table and the dinning room table (which is a non no)....stealing an item from the floral arrangement, using it as a toy, then for some odd reason dumping it in her water bowl{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

Hey Spurt, well, it appears it's another blissful Q experience to be missed today, with hour upon hour of........ a camera.

{#emotions_dlg.scared}

What a treat...

I caw CP was on twice, but given her shows lately feature little more than 'closed mine' memorabilia... I opted not even to DVR her. I think she's on again later on the 'jewelry box' show and MAYBE I'll check it out then... Maybe not... But incidentally, when did she become the queen of brass? As if Bronzo wasn't bad enough...

As for the braided rugs, I need a very large size in the living room and a bit smaller would do in the dining room. We're talking probably a 9 x 12 and a 7 x 9, so smaller rugs won't really work for me, but I will check out the resources you suggest... As for prices, I found JCP's prices ridiculous and certainly more than a few hundred. When I started looking at these rugs a couple years ago, I could've gotten the larger one for about six but it's now over a thousand... Sorry, but that's gouging and prohibitive...

I've purchased other things from Home Decorators and when you can catch a discount and free shipping, it's a good resource... I think I looked at their rugs and found them pricey too, but I guess that's just what the traffic is bearing right now... The thing about large room size rugs is you kind of want to see them before you have them shipped. Even if you're only seeing a throw rug size sample, you want some sense that the colors will work! And as for JCP, they used to, many years ago, have a decent rug department but they did away with it, at least around here, probably more than a decade ago... I don't know what they're now using the space for, but can only imagine it's probably more clothes, clothes, clothes...

And these merchants wonder why they can't draw in customers...

{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 2/16/2015 SPURT said:
On 2/15/2015 CalmInTheHeart said:

Did you happen to check out Evine this weekend? That's the new name of ShopHQ. I posted on their fb site that I thought their big weekend introducing the new name and some vendors was absolutely horrible. It almost...almost....made Q's dyson/mattress/dell rotation seem special. (if you can even imagine that)

Hi CALMIN---I don't have Evine, but from what I've read it's mixed reviews... ....and gee from what you've said....that bad huh......{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}!!!! I know I said it before, but these Shopping Channels have the added advantage of television over other online retailers, but instead of utilizing it properly to get customers interested in their products and programming, it seems it is more of a DISadvantage and driving customers AWAY!!!!{#emotions_dlg.glare} Does anyone in the TV Shopping Channel Industry have any common sense or savvy....I think not.....{#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

Goofy, isn't it, that these home shopping outfits could use that air time in such interesting. diverse and creative ways and yet what they opt to do is bore their customers into changing channels... As far as it goes, Evine, as noted, hasn't been exactly Xanadu, but it's offered a better mix than, well, mixers, hour after hour in the kitchen and cameras, and hey, regardless, at least it's one more stop to make as one passes through on the remote!

Wink

Valued Contributor

I will say JCP has some washable rugs that I like; since I have so many dogs Smile, I like to be able to throw the rugs in the wash; I tried to have a piece of bound=edged carpet for a rug, but just could not keep it clean, even with a good carpet shampooer. But last time I checked, like you say, the prices were a bit too steep for me to replace some.

Way steep! I know... I've been looking for braided rugs... A bit old fashioned, perhaps, but I happen to love them, and even though I have perfectly fine larger rugs in the living and dining areas, and really need to prioritize replacing the wall to wall in the bedrooms, I just wanted to look at braideds for the main living areas as a possibility... As noted, the ones I have are fine and are beautiful, but I could really use larger rugs... Anyway, just a few years back I was looking at them on the JCP website and nicer wool braideds were marginally affordable... But, whoa Nelly, when I look at them now, they appear to have gone up by several hundred dollars, and, like I said, they never seem to have sales anymore, even though I thought that was one of the things new management intended to reinstitute...

And, like I said, any way you slice it, I can't believe they can't find room in their stores, few though they are anymore, for a rug section... I mean really, that's the kind of thing you want to see before you order. No one wants to get a huge rug home only to find the colors don't work... Honestly, no wonder they're always struggling to stay afloat...

I got a really nice American-made braided round rug for my breakfast room at rugsusa.com. They have great sales, free shipping frequently, etc.

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Honored Contributor

On 2/16/2015 katiescarlett said:

I got a really nice American-made braided round rug for my breakfast room at rugsusa.com. They have great sales, free shipping frequently, etc.

I'll check them out too, thanks KS...

Valued Contributor

On 2/16/2015 stevieb said:
On 2/16/2015 katiescarlett said:

I'll check them out too, thanks KS...

I am on their e-mail list and they are always having big sales. Like today is 75% off for President's day and shipping is always free.

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Frequent Contributor

In between the 2 Shark Shows is BEST OF VICENZA STYLE-"FINE" ITALIAN JEWELRY-this is leftovers from the VICENZA STYLE DAY...enjoy purchasing jewelry that no one seems to want....

ROFL! That made me quite literally laugh out loud this morning.

Thank you, as always, for your weekly shot of great comedy.