Contributor

Purchased these a while back. Unless they have improved on the ink, I found that one could still read the personal info on certain kinds of paper. 

Honored Contributor

You didn't give any information so we don't know what your post is about.

I will say I think it's a matter of the law not punishing the lawbreakers enough AND I think we need to take a step back on some things and not use this new technology for some things.  Here is an example of how these low life criminals are ahead of honest people.

I love the TV show Nightline because they delve into a subject long enough to let us know what they're talking about but they don't spend an hour on the subject.

They said that anyone can now buy a small device that will register heat sensors.  It's the size of a cell phone and can be held on the back of a cell phone.

Here's what the crook does.  You go to the grocery store and use your credit or debit card.  You swipe the card and then punch in your (SECRET) numbers.  

The crook comes immediately behind you and quickly swipes across the pad this thing (it just looks like he's holding his cell phone).  It now registers the SECRET numbers you just punched in.  Not only that but it registers the heat intensity of each number.  So the crook would know the number with the less heat would be first and so on.  Get it?

You already know that cards with chips are always sending out signals anyway, and/or there are now card readers where if the crook gets close enough to you they can use their cell phones to copy your credit card numbers (that's why those special wallets are so popular, to supposedly protect your cards.

That's just one way.  I've seen so many shows about crooks putting their own card reader OVER the outside bank readers and over the gas station card readers.  The next time you swipe your card after getting gas make sure there is a sticker over the creases of the card reader.  The sticker says something like if this is broken do not use it and go inside and report it.  

Start paying attention.  Crooks are way ahead of us on technology.  I just personally think they get a slap on the hands and off they go.

I never get money from the outside bank area.  I see many people using it.  

We can't outhink their every move but (like I said) I think we all need to take a step back on some things, just a few (Ha)!  Because I like technology and how it's simplified my life.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I found that to be true.  They don't work on slick paper, but I think the instructions state that.  They also dry out very quickly.

Respected Contributor

If these are those ink rollers that block out personal information - I find it hilarious because on TV you can actually read the information right through them.

Respected Contributor

Re: Guard your ID products

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66. I believe OP is referring to the Guard Your ID ink rollers that you roll over printing to obliterate, such as personal info on bills, etc.

Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal. Once the ink dries, they do work pretty well, except on some kinds of paper, & they dry out fast.  Probably easier to just shred, but not everyone can afford to buy a shredder.

Super Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

You didn't give any information so we don't know what your post is about.

I will say I think it's a matter of the law not punishing the lawbreakers enough AND I think we need to take a step back on some things and not use this new technology for some things.  Here is an example of how these low life criminals are ahead of honest people.

I love the TV show Nightline because they delve into a subject long enough to let us know what they're talking about but they don't spend an hour on the subject.

They said that anyone can now buy a small device that will register heat sensors.  It's the size of a cell phone and can be held on the back of a cell phone.

Here's what the crook does.  You go to the grocery store and use your credit or debit card.  You swipe the card and then punch in your (SECRET) numbers.  

The crook comes immediately behind you and quickly swipes across the pad this thing (it just looks like he's holding his cell phone).  It now registers the SECRET numbers you just punched in.  Not only that but it registers the heat intensity of each number.  So the crook would know the number with the less heat would be first and so on.  Get it?

You already know that cards with chips are always sending out signals anyway, and/or there are now card readers where if the crook gets close enough to you they can use their cell phones to copy your credit card numbers (that's why those special wallets are so popular, to supposedly protect your cards.

That's just one way.  I've seen so many shows about crooks putting their own card reader OVER the outside bank readers and over the gas station card readers.  The next time you swipe your card after getting gas make sure there is a sticker over the creases of the card reader.  The sticker says something like if this is broken do not use it and go inside and report it.  

Start paying attention.  Crooks are way ahead of us on technology.  I just personally think they get a slap on the hands and off they go.

I never get money from the outside bank area.  I see many people using it.  

We can't outhink their every move but (like I said) I think we all need to take a step back on some things, just a few (Ha)!  Because I like technology and how it's simplified my life.

Thank you so much for this disturbing but very helpful information @Annabellethecat66.  What really ticks me off is that our government has multiple agencies at the Federal and state levels that receive billions and billions of dollars to protect us from these crooks and yet always seem to be several steps behind them when it comes to the technology.  Then, as you say, when these creeps are caught they are given probation, small fines, community service, therapy, etc. everything except punishment.  I love it how they are told that they have to make restitution but never do.  Just try not paying your taxes!

Respected Contributor

It would be nice if we had more information on "these." 

Respected Contributor

Nothing like a good ole black Sharpie Marker that gets the job done for me, as well as my shredder.