Respected Contributor

Re: Green lights for veterans?

Thanks for the reminder. I saw the commercials over and over and want to participate. I need to get the bulb. I believe it was Lowes?  

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

How about something more impactful, like inviting a vet over for a nice dinner or two, baking a vet something nice, making a vet a quilt for the cold winter weather, donating to veterans organizations or volunteering at places that help vets? I don't know, these kinds of things  seem a bit silly to me since they don't really "do" anything of substance. No offense to anyone.

1) I don't know any vets to invite over for dinner.

2) I don't know a vet to bake for (I don't have a large social circle and they don't wear signs).

3) I work full time and can't cook, bake, etc. and visit the local VA.

4) I don't sew.

5) I donated long before this thread came up.

6) At past retirement age and working full time, my "spare" time is, selfishly, for me - so I can gather the energy to go back to work every Monday. To, you know, pay the rent.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just saw these bulbs today in my local Walmart but even if I put one in my front porch light, no one would see it.  I live in the boondocks!  And I think they were only something like 40W.

Not sure what the significance is of green either?

(ETA:  Isn't some part of the purchase price going to a Veteran's charity?)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

How about something more impactful, like inviting a vet over for a nice dinner or two, baking a vet something nice, making a vet a quilt for the cold winter weather, donating to veterans organizations or volunteering at places that help vets? I don't know, these kinds of things  seem a bit silly to me since they don't really "do" anything of substance. No offense to anyone.

1) I don't know any vets to invite over for dinner.

2) I don't know a vet to bake for (I don't have a large social circle and they don't wear signs).

3) I work full time and can't cook, bake, etc. and visit the local VA.

4) I don't sew.

5) I donated long before this thread came up.

6) At past retirement age and working full time, my "spare" time is, selfishly, for me - so I can gather the energy to go back to work every Monday. To, you know, pay the rent.

@Moonchilde these were just examples. Even sending cards tor our soliders is a nice gesture and doesn't cost much. Sorry that you took offense.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

I just saw these bulbs today in my local Walmart but even if I put one in my front porch light, no one would see it.  I live in the boondocks!  And I think they were only something like 40W.

Not sure what the significance is of green either?

(ETA:  Isn't some part of the purchase price going to a Veteran's charity?)

Wouldn't it have to be a certain brand or from a certain store then, one that has committed the funds? That would be great if it did though- at least that is something.

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze  That's what I'm wondering. Though I watched the commercial, I zoned out after awhile. I can't remember. I thought it was Lowes but maybe it was Walmart. Guess I'll look it up. Duh. 

Honored Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

@HappyDaze  That's what I'm wondering. Though I watched the commercial, I zoned out after awhile. I can't remember. I thought it was Lowes but maybe it was Walmart. Guess I'll look it up. Duh. 

I see that walmart is encouraging people to do this but I've found nothing about them committing any money from the sales of the bulbs to vets but I didn't spend too much time looking so perhaps I am wrong.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is the link to the website for it, but I can't see anywhere that it says anything about profits being donated.  However, Walmart is a big supporter of hiring veterans (so far has hired 100,000 of its 250,000 goal).

Greenlight

UPDATE:  I just checked this out on FB.  Walmart states that all the profit from the sale of these bulbs is going to veterans' charities; they are not making any money from this. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think this is a great idea and I'm going to Walmart to pick up a couple green lights. I got the impression from the website that we are supposed to leave one green light in use even after Veterans Day.

When I meet someone and learn that they are a veteran, I always thank them for their service. And they are always happy to receive those thanks!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

I'm a vet of 4 years,  DH is a vet of 24 years.  We're not doing this green light thing.  To what purpose? Means nothing to us.  Reminds me of all those yellow ribbons.