Honored Contributor

The price of pork went up with inflation.   Corn went up as well.  There are less pigs for slaughter and more demand for pork.  It is no longer an affordable meal.

A package of bacon is running around $10 a lb in the grocery store.

You also have to take into consideration shipping.  Shipping is sky night right now too.

You are no longer able to buy a lb of sausage for $4....or even  a dozen of eggs.

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

The price of pork went up with inflation.   Corn went up as well.  There are less pigs for slaughter and more demand for pork.  It is no longer an affordable meal.

You also have to take into consideration shipping.  Shipping is sky night right now too.

You are no longer able to buy a lb of sausage for $4....or even  a dozen of eggs.

WRONG. I buy sausage for $3.99. Trader Joe's cage free eggs (one dozen) are $2.49. Bacon is NO WHERE NEAR $10 a pound where I shop.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Gourmet sausage?

[ Edited ]

@Beauty geek wrote:

Are there seriously people out there who would pay $20 per pound for SAUSAGE? Ridiculous!

I wouldn't just like a LOT of people won't. IGNORE those TYPICAL posts (numbers 1 to 7) that follow yours.

Honored Contributor

Re: Gourmet sausage?

[ Edited ]
Take your pick....either 1 lb or 12oz. At my local Giant store. 9.99 or 13.32 a lb.  I am not WRONG.

@layla2450 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

WRONG. I buy sausage for $3.99. Trader Joe's cage free eggs (one dozen) are $2.49. Bacon is NO WHERE NEAR $10 a pound where I shop.

506324D7-C9E9-44DE-8A4B-2EF034005AF1.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:
Take your pick....either 1 lb or 12oz. At my local Giant store. 9.99 or 13.32 a lb.  I am not WRONG.

@layla2450 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

506324D7-C9E9-44DE-8A4B-2EF034005AF1.jpeg

As I stated in my post, the prices I mentioned are the PRICES where I LIVE, NOT where YOU LIVE.

Esteemed Contributor

I just think people are shocked at prices and just want to comment.  It’s just conversation.  

Sausage?  Really?  I guess there are some people who still eat this stuff. 

Respected Contributor

@Carmie, I hear you. I bought bacon on sale this afternoon for $8.99. On sale. I bought eggs on sale for $4.89. On sale. Didn't buy bread or butter because neither were on sale and I wasn't paying $7.69 for butter.

Just checked my Trader Joe's ad. Eggs $4.49.

We all live in different areas with different availability. I often send treats to my sister. She lives in a village. Literally a village. One small independent grocery store. One non-chain pharmacy. One red light. No McDonald's, no Burger King, no Taco Bell, or Dunkin Donuts, no Starbucks. You get the idea. You walk to the post office to get your mail.

We don't all live the same. We don't all have the same options. It's none of my business and not my place to judge how other people spend their money.

Contributor

Thank you. All I was TRYING to say was with today's a!ready high prices I just couldn't imagine this $20 per pound sausage being that much better than what you get at the store. I'm not bad mouthing people who pay these prices, bit I feel they're a little ridiculous.

Trusted Contributor

@Krimpette Very well said. Some of my family members that live out of town have everything they need or I see them so rarely I don't really know what they could use. I send food items regularly to them. Everyone eats, I pretty much know what they like and don't like. I have a set amount of money and will more often than not send a food item, like the sausage, and I always get very positive responses. 

I don't disagree that most food items are very high priced but when you account for availability in your area, paying for shipping yourself, and the convenience, it works for me for gifting.

Contributor

#1 I am not "incensed". Why don't you explain to me what would make a pound of sausage worth $20/lb? Frankly I don't care what you or anyone else eats I just find it amazing that all you hear these days is inflation, inflation but yet people have the $ to pay $20/lb. For sausage because it's " convenient". People have just gotten flat out LAZY. making a comment does not make me incensed. I remember the days when it was ok to voice an opinion without being ripped apart!