Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Look, the o/p made what she felt at the time, was the best decision for her.

Let's not beat her over the the head with "You should have done this", or "Why didn't you do that?" .

What's done is done.

I know people love to brag about how they can pay off all of their credit cards every month.

It makes them feel superior to those who can't, like they are better than them.

I refuse to believe that everyone who takes a vacation, and charges the airplane tickets, the hotel room (only fancy places will do. No Motel 6, thank you very much), plus food, plus all the other expenses that go along with being on vacation) off in full in one month.

I call bull on that. 

You mean to tell me that after charging thousands of dollars to a card that it was all  paid off in one month?

Yeah, right!

Same for car repairs, which can also cost hundreds, if not thousands of dollars.

100% paid off in a single month?

Sure, right.

I'm not buying that load of karp.

Fact is, there is no shame in carrying a balance.

That's just reality for many, and they are doing the best that they can, but Life can throw you a curve ball at any moment, and the FACT is, not everybody had tens of thousands dollars set aside in savings. If everybody did, then there would be no poor, or people living from paycheck to paycheck.

The smug, arrogant, superior attitudes that people have around here when it comes to money is just absolutely disgusting.

Have some compassion for those who are less fortunate.

Not everybody "lives beyond their means" .

A HELL of a lot of people are doing the best that they can just to keep a roof over their heads. They aren't living extravagantly, buying porterhouse steaks, drinking Crystal Champagne, and buying a new car every year.

In case one hasn't noticed, the price of everything has gone up, but wages aren't keeping up.

And no, people are not getting rich by sitting at home collecting unemployment, so don't even go there with that lie.

So, if people have to carry a balance on their credit cards every month, that's their choice. I'm sure that if they could pay it off in full, they would.

So people need to quit with the superior, holier-than-thou, smug, arrogant attitudes when it comes to money, and putting others down who are not as "smart" as them.

And if someone doesn't like what I said, tough!

I stand by what I said.

Great post @Anonymous032819 This could happen to anyone. Let's be kind, because it could be you next. I know people that had to max out credit cards to stay afloat. You do what you have to do to survive.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Let's not beat her over the the head with "You should have done this", or "Why didn't you do that?" .

What's done is done.

I know people love to brag about how they can pay off all of their credit cards every month.

I refuse to believe that everyone who takes a vacation, and charges the airplane tickets, the hotel room (only fancy places will do. No Motel 6, thank you very much), plus food, plus all the other expenses that go along with being on vacation) off in full in one month.

I call bull on that. 

You mean to tell me that after charging thousands of dollars to a card that it was all  paid off in one month?

Yeah, right!

Same for car repairs, which can also cost hundreds, if not thousands of dollars.

Sure, right.

That's just reality for many, and they are doing the best that they can, but Life can throw you a curve ball at any moment, and the FACT is, not everybody had tens of thousands dollars set aside in savings. If everybody did, then there would be no poor, or people living from paycheck to paycheck.

The smug, arrogant, superior attitudes that people have around here when it comes to money is just absolutely disgusting.

A HELL of a lot of people are doing the best that they can just to keep a roof over their heads. They aren't living extravagantly, buying porterhouse steaks, drinking Crystal Champagne, and buying a new car every year.

In case one hasn't noticed, the price of everything has gone up, but wages aren't keeping up.

And no, people are not getting rich by sitting at home collecting unemployment, so don't even go there with that lie.

So, if people have to carry a balance on their credit cards every month, that's their choice. I'm sure that if they could pay it off in full, they would.

So people need to quit with the superior, holier-than-thou, smug, arrogant attitudes when it comes to money, and putting others down who are not as "smart" as them.

I stand by what I said.

Very well said @Anonymous032819  !

Honored Contributor

@Critter Friend  - Hope things are better for you now.  

Honored Contributor

@elated wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@elated wrote:

I don't understand why you didn't contact the credit card company immediately about your job loss. I think they would have worked with you. You could have made payment arrangements much better than a settlement. It would have hurt your fico score but you still could have saved yourself from having closed your account forever. 

Also, you eventually got another job and sold your home. You could have paid off your debt and been in good standing.  This would have been a better avenue for your credit going forward.

Hi @elated shoulda coulda, it's tough to make decisions when one is going through a rough time.

Why posts on a forum that you were cut off from QVC? Now, that makes no sense. 

What's wrong with the OP posting about her being cut off from the Q @elated ?? 

Honored Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe ,Why take issue with the notification that taxes may become due on the unpaid balance?I think giving the OP a heads ups that it may be a possibility would be a benefit so the potential pre planing can be made. 

@Anonymous032819, you can think flying hockey pucks all you like. You don't know how others deal with their finances. I don't find writing a check in the thousands to pay off a monthy account to be out of the ordinary. To include vacations that are preplanned and presaved. You may not do it, others do. Some put every everyday expense on a credit card. Groceries, dry cleaning, gas, utilities, car repairs, on and on. Most often they do it, not just for convenience, but also for whatever benefits and perks afforded by a specific credit card. To them, and me, it makes perfect sense. It has zero to do with feeling superior or bragging. It's a simple financial lifestyle choice that works for them. 

Actually, your post sounds a little on the bragging side.

Valued Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

What's done is done.

I call bull on that. 

Yeah, right!

Actually my husband and I only take vacations we can pay for.  We may use our credit cards when making reservations then we transfer the money out of our savings when we get home to pay the credit card bills.  We do not carry a balance and pay those outrageous interest rates.  We learned this behavior 30 years ago when we got into debt and said "Never again".  We got support from a book by Dave Ramsey. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Wobin wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

What's done is done.

I call bull on that. 

Yeah, right!

Actually my husband and I only take vacations we can pay for.  We may use our credit cards when making reservations then we transfer the money out of our savings when we get home to pay the credit card bills.  We do not carry a balance and pay those outrageous interest rates.  We learned this behavior 30 years ago when we got into debt and said "Never again".  We got support from a book by Dave Ramsey. 

@Wobin 

Anybody can claim anything on these boards.

I could claim that I make $50k per month.

Doesn't make it true.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Anybody can claim anything on these boards.

I could claim that I make $50k per month.

Doesn't make it true.

Think what you like.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

What's done is done.

I call bull on that. 

Yeah, right!

Sure, right.

I stand by what I said.

I agree.  The holier-than-thou attitude of some is cruel and ignores real life. 

Regular Contributor

What's interesting is that someone who's following Dave Ramsey for many years wouldn't be shopping at QVC EVER.  He would regard much of the merchandise as unnecessary and overpriced.

So for someone to be HERE discussing their superior bill-paying and financial management is kind of funny to me.