Esteemed Contributor

Re: Goodbye Mary Nelson. You will be missed.😢

[ Edited ]

@qbetzforreal  Mary is originally from Kentucky. She was working in Omaha radio when she met and married her husband. They have spent many 2-3 days trips in Omaha if you've watched her shows regularly. She has often  mentioned Omaha and their love of the center of the country. I'm not surprised at all. She's a lovely woman, who enjoys her husband and their life together with their dog.

Working as a host for QVC is not conducive to spending time with one's spouse, friends or family. She has the guts to call it quits and knows what is important in life. Stress and working crazy hours for a lucretive paycheck is not among her priorities!

Nebraskan's are anxious for Mary's return! We were disappointed when she left Omaha's radio. Confident we'll spot her around O-town again!

ETA: In her farewell message, Mary mentioned she was leaving on the 23rd and they were returning to Omaha. Didn't you read the entire thread?  

This sounds like they've already sold their home and purchased another in Omaha. I'm sure she notified QVC a long time ago and this is not a sudden decision.

She's been an amazing host and a huge void for QVC. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@qbetzforreal  Mary is originally from Kentucky. She was working in Omaha radio when she met and married her husband. They have spent many 2-3 days trips in Omaha if you've watched her shows regularly. She has often  mentioned Omaha and their love of the center of the country. I'm not surprised at all. She's a lovely woman, who enjoys her husband and their life together with their dog.

Working as a host for QVC is not conducive to spending time with one's spouse, friends or family. She has the guts to call it quits and knows what is important in life. Stress and working crazy hours for a lucretive paycheck is not among her priorities!

Nebraskan's are anxious for Mary's return! We were disappointed when she left Omaha's radio. Confident we'll spot her around O-town again!

ETA: In her farewell message, Mary mentioned she was leaving on the 23rd and they were returning to Omaha. Didn't you read the entire thread?  

This sounds like they've already sold their home and purchased another in Omaha. I'm sure she notified QVC a long time ago and this is not a sudden decision.

She's been an amazing host and a huge void for QVC. 

@BirkiLady Not that it matters but I did read the entire thread.  Here's Mary's post: She says to follow her on Instagram and Twitter.  Her nics use the "Home".  Perhaps you misread.  Like I said it doesn't matter.

via facebook

Thank you. If you don’t read beyond this point... you’ll at least know I’m grateful!

June 2012 was pivotal. That’s when I emailed Shawn Killinger QVC with a wordy note about who I was, where I was from, my experience, and above all, my dream: I had looked and looked for months about how to get in the door at QVC, but hadn’t cracked the code. I asked her if she’d be willing to help. She immediately wrote back! Shawn gave me the name of QVC’s casting director, and it was just the spark I needed. After auditioning three times in five years, I made it!

This journey wasn’t just about a job. I had loved shopping at QVC for years because of the hosts. They were genuine, knowledgeable and entertaining! I always felt like, by shopping at the Q, I was part of something more meaningful. Now that I’ve had a chance to be on the other side, I know how true that is.

The desire to be with family and friends has always been great, but in recent months, that feeling has amplified. Arriving at this moment is bittersweet... but mostly sweet. I’m grateful for the last two-and-a-half years! How amazing that a girl from eastern Kentucky, raised in a hollow, could lay the sort of bricks in life that lead to Studio Park! I’ll take all of the good from this experience and apply it somehow in the future. That is TBD. For now, it’s about acknowledging that life is too short to not be where your heart is.

My last day is September 23rd. If you’d like to keep up with my DIY shenanigans after that, please follow @home_sweet_homaha on IG and @homesweethomaha on Twitter.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you're coming back Mary to Omaha, WELCOME BACK!!! She was on our local TV station, the CBS affiliate (kmtv). She was co-host on a morning talk show and was excellent at it. Very disappointed when she left. Hopefully she is coming back to the big O. She is very genuine and regardless if she left on her own or not doesn't matter. She gave it her BEST, more than alot of us do. She may realize at a younger age what really is important to her and hubby in their life and made a change. Good luck Moary. Hopefully we'll see you back on air in Omaha. You did good!😄 No, you did GREAT!

Trusted Contributor

I thought her accent was one the elements that made her different and interesting. She seemed to be genuinely happy during her presentations and that added to the likeability also.

Super Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:
Her explanation of leaving for family is about a million times less credible than when Sharon and Jill said the same.

Exactly right. Cut in salary or no new contract? Either way it's bad news.

Mary was one of the good ones!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkerbell3 wrote:

You have to wonder if these hosts are really leaving by choice! QVC pays extremely well and jobs like those are very hard to find!

I have no idea why Courtney C is still there

@Tinkerbell3 

In addition to Courtney C you can add Kirsten and Katherine Zell to that list too--- I would love to see them find a new career.......(theres a few more too)

They seem to be letting all the good hosts go...They got rid of Cathy P who was a decent host ...and then tenured hosts---Sharon, Jill,  Dan Wheeler.....they seem to be looking for a specific demographic.....the young blonde busy mom thats a bit narcisstic....heaven help the hosts that dont fit that description.....Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@Diva on The Q wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

Was never a fan, the voice was just annoying after awhile. I have an idea when she started to gain weight that was the end of her at the Q. They all seem to be wearing Fitbits these days. I can only imagine the stress they are under to perform and sell, that's no doubt why Shawn is the way she is. 

@blackhole99: I'm sorry, but what does her weight have to do with her decision to leave???   

@Diva on The Q  I find it hard to believe it was her choice to leave the Q and I doubt if the hosts don't have a weight clause written into their contracts these days. Every company is getting on the health band wagon, my brother works in maintenance and his company has a weight and blood pressure rule for all employees. The company will not hire you if your are over weight and have high blood pressure and if you came into the company before the ruling you must be working to lose weight and get your BP down. So far no one has been fired, but my brother said he is into see the company nurse to check on his BP every month, it's mandatory and my brother is thin.

@blackhole99 

I guess in "fire at will states" as long as the reason is not against federal employment laws companies can do what they want....but that requirement would GIVE ME high blood pressure....SMH!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

Not surprised.  Saw her recently and she seemed very tired.  The job has to take its toll on the newbies.  Crazy work hours.  I did find her voice to be a bit more twangy than what is common on QVC, but hers was better than a couple of the Valley girls who seem to be on frequently.  I wish Mary good luck and hope her life becomes exactly what she wants it to be.  

Crazy work hours ? Huh?  Mary Nelson worked about 15 hours a week !  Im sorry but I know someone who works 50 hrs a week in retail managing a Home Goods and is on her feet ALL DAY.  She sometimes has to close the store at 10pm ( which after organizing does not get home until 11 then has to be back at work at 8am the following day.  These hosts have it easy compared to the average retail worker.

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@Jaspersmom wrote:

Not surprised.  Saw her recently and she seemed very tired.  The job has to take its toll on the newbies.  Crazy work hours.  I did find her voice to be a bit more twangy than what is common on QVC, but hers was better than a couple of the Valley girls who seem to be on frequently.  I wish Mary good luck and hope her life becomes exactly what she wants it to be.  

Crazy work hours ? Huh?  Mary Nelson worked about 15 hours a week !  Im sorry but I know someone who works 50 hrs a week in retail managing a Home Goods and is on her feet ALL DAY.  She sometimes has to close the store at 10pm ( which after organizing does not get home until 11 then has to be back at work at 8am the following day.  These hosts have it easy compared to the average retail worker.

@Reever  They are their workplace more than just what they are shown on air. There are many things involved in their work weeks. Like preparation.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@Jaspersmom wrote:

@Reever  You only see them on air, but the hosts have other duties, mentioned many times on air and on their social media pages.  

They have office days where they have all-day meetings.  They have training with new vendors; reviewing all the items in their weekly shows, and often go to sites to learn about upcoming shows (a few of them just got back from a textile show, others go to the jewelry shows, etc.).  

Even their on-air days go on for several hours before they actually appear on air.  They don’t just drive up to QVC all made up and just appear on air.  They have said it can take hours beforehand to meet the stylists, gather all their multiple change of clothes, etc.